Method Community

Sizing a document when exporting to PDF

Last post 06-06-2012 1:16 PM by Anonymous. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-29-2012 9:41 AM

Sizing a document when exporting to PDF

I have a button/link that exports a report to PDF. However, the report is quite wide and ends up being 2 pages.

I'd like to export in landscape form, and shrunk to fit the columns (or the entire report) onto one page.

I've investigated the Export to PDF options in the Report Designer but I don't see an option for this. Can this be done?

Thanks

• 05-29-2012 10:09 AM In reply to

Re: Sizing a document when exporting to PDF

Sorry, I should clarify: the action attached to the export button is "Generate Report".

• 05-29-2012 10:57 AM In reply to

Answer

MikeB:
    I'd like to export in landscape form, and shrunk to fit the columns (or the entire report) onto one page.

You'll have to open this report in the Method Report Designer to edit the page layout.  If you've never looked at the report designer we have a few webinars on the topic to get you more comfortable.  If you're comfortable with the report designer then there you need to adjust the setting in Preview mode > click Page Setup > click landscape.  Once you change the layout here your report will always print landscape.

~C

• 05-30-2012 12:31 PM In reply to

Right, I understand how to do the landscape setting - it was already set to Landscape.

The problem is that when this report is generated in method, it's 6 pages total instead of shrunk into one, or instead of just shrinking the columns to fit (which would result in 2 pages).

In the Report Designer, I go the the Preview tab, and select the "Scale" button and select the "Fit to 1 Page Wide" option. I select the save icon from the main menu (not the save option in the lowest toolbar, which asks me to save the .prnx file locally). But when I tole back to the Designer tab, and then back to the Preview tab, the report is that same size as originally. The column shrinking didn't take.

Is there another option I should be using?

• 05-30-2012 12:31 PM In reply to

Right, I understand how to do the landscape setting - it was already set to Landscape.

The problem is that when this report is generated in method, it's 6 pages total instead of shrunk into one, or instead of just shrinking the columns to fit (which would result in 2 pages).

In the Report Designer, I go the the Preview tab, and select the "Scale" button and select the "Fit to 1 Page Wide" option. I select the save icon from the main menu (not the save option in the lowest toolbar, which asks me to save the .prnx file locally). But when I tole back to the Designer tab, and then back to the Preview tab, the report is that same size as originally. The column shrinking didn't take.

• 06-05-2012 1:06 PM In reply to

MikeB:

It sounds like you need to hit the save button on the main toolbar (near the file, edit, view, format menu).  Try that and let me know how it looks.

~C

• 06-05-2012 3:10 PM In reply to

Here are my steps:

• Open "ManagerDashboard" in Method Report designer
    • This report is called xtraReport11, and I make sure I select this in the report explorer window on the right.
    • The property Grid on the right also shows the attributes for the report.
    • I go to the Preview tab and then select the Scale button in the secondary toolbar and select the "fit to 1 page wide" option.
    • The report is now shrunk so the columns now fit the page width, and is now on 1 page instead of 2.
    • I now use the "Save" button on the main toolbar.
    • If I go back to the Designer tab, and then toggle back to the Preview tab, the columns are no longer shrunk. The report is back to its original size.
  • 06-05-2012 3:17 PM In reply to

Oh, and when I go to the main Method environment and use the Export to PDF option that I've attached to a button, the PDF is 6 pages. It should be 3.

The Method version contains a lot more entries than what I see in the Report Designer.

• 06-06-2012 10:07 AM In reply to

MikeB:
    The report is back to its original size.

Unfortunately the scale options here are just for the preview window.  Your only option to size the report down is in the designer window - you'll have to adjust the fonts and detail bands to make everything smaller.  The preview window options you're playing with only change how the report looks in the preview pane (with the exception of landscape mode).

~C

• 06-06-2012 10:15 AM In reply to

OK, so to clarify: there's no way to configure a report that is exported to a PDF? It's good that I know rather than searching for an answer. That's fine for a static report but this is a pivot grid, which can change in size.

I guess the best option is to export to Excel, then, and convert to a PDF from there?

Thanks

• 06-06-2012 1:16 PM In reply to

MikeB:
    I guess the best option is to export to Excel, then, and convert to a PDF from there?

It depends.  It sounds like that might be a better option if you have something which changes in size.  The report designer can be hard to format the print settings - other than changing the size of the detail bands, font, margins and a few other options, you're limited.

~C

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)