Method Community

Search by Customer Type

Last post 04-30-2013 4:06 PM by caraaley. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-07-2011 9:08 AM

Search by Customer Type

Is there a way to filter the customer list (or search) by the customer "type" field found in QuickBooks? If so, how?

• 02-07-2011 1:47 PM In reply to

Re: Search by Customer Type

Answer

pdirect,

If you edit the grid in the customer screen you can add the CustomerType column to the grid and use the grid filter to search by specific customer type. You can even set the CustomerType column's advanced options to make it hidden when it first loads. When you set a grid column is hidden clicking on the gear at the bottom of grid will allow you to make it visible.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
  • 04-15-2013 1:42 PM In reply to

this doesn't seem to work.  i appeared to have a field called 'Customer type' on my customer page but couldn't type in it.  so i tried to change that and then lost the field.  though the label for the field is still there.  any thoughts on how to make this work?  i was also hoping it could be a dropdown menu of all of the Customer Types I have in Quickbooks.  Thanks in advance for your help!

• 04-15-2013 2:33 PM In reply to

Hi,

You won't be able to type in this field as its a field tied directly to a Quickbooks table.  You can add Customer Types in Quickbooks which can then be synced to Method.  However, you can't modify this via a grid as its linked from the Entity table as a text field.  This essentially means it acts as a read only field.  What is the end goal here?  Do you just want to be able to search and filter based on Customer type or do you want to edit as well?

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 04-19-2013 2:05 PM In reply to

I just want to be able to search and filter, not to edit.  We have a whole dropdown of Customer Types in quickbooks (and that I can select from when I create a customer).  I simply want that dropdown on the Customer List page if possible.

• 04-22-2013 1:34 PM In reply to

do you guys have an answer for this?

• 04-22-2013 2:47 PM In reply to

Hi Cara,

Sorry for the late reply.  The CustomerType field should be available to add directly into the grid.  If you click Edit on the grid object, you can select the CustomerType from the field dropdown and click the Insert button to add that field to the grid.  Also remember that you'll have to replace the current stock screen to see this change.  

To replace a screen, you can follow the instructions here: Creating Screens.  If you're stuck somewhere or need me to clarify, please let me know.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 04-22-2013 3:03 PM In reply to

i did all of those things and it looks like there is a bug, as all i can see is the words 'Customer Type' but no field associated with that to actually search by.  Please see our Two Degrees site if you would- I think this may be a tech issue.

• 04-22-2013 4:50 PM In reply to

Cara,

Can you email me the screen that you are looking at?  I took a look and it doesn't appear that you have added the Customer Type field to the grid for you CustomerList screen. Are you looking at a different screen?

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 04-23-2013 10:21 AM In reply to

Hi Cara,

I took a look, and it looks as though you added the Customer Type field from the left into the same cell as the grid and did not add it as a column in the grid.  It may look like the screen below.  What you need to do is not add the field from there, but add the column into the Customer Type grid.  You'll need to edit the actual grid object to do this and then you'll see the screens I showed above.

- Adam
    Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 04-30-2013 4:06 PM In reply to

adam- i do not have the grid as shown.  it is an empty box next to customer type.  if you log in you can see that...any other thoughts ont his, as it is holding up an activity we have planned.  thanks,

cara

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)