Method Community

I'm looking for a way to "stick" the customer to the same sales rep even thought the sales rep field changes

Last post 01-28-2014 3:07 PM by Method_Adam. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-27-2014 12:39 PM

I'm looking for a way to "stick" the customer to the same sales rep even thought the sales rep field changes

All our "customers" come from QB. We then follow up with them to re-order. I use the CRM to sort the customers for the sales reps to follow up. BUT the sales rep field can change when the customer  re-orders from a different rep but I still want to the customer to "stick" to the same sales rep for customer relations and future sales.

How do I do this? I have my Method user for example "Tom" assigned to "sales rep Tom" but when the sales rep field changes (ordered from the website ect) so it is no longer "Tom" -- I still need Tom to see this customer in his customer base.

Can I use "customer type" as the field ( example: "Customer type: 4ATom" or "customer type: Tom") that would "stick" the customer to the rep Tom, even when the sales rep field changes to george?

The idea is to give the rep all the customers they are to work on in the filter by view: my customers so they don't have to search endlessly in the general QB for a customer

• 01-27-2014 9:00 PM In reply to

Re: I'm looking for a way to "stick" the customer to the same sales rep even thought the sales rep field changes

Hi Nancy,

There are a number of ways to achieve what you are looking for. My question first would be why does the rep need to change when they order from a different rep?  Could the rep simply just log the sales and change the rep for that sale only and not the customer itself?

If you wish to create another field, you can use the CustomerType field. There are a couple things you would need to do to get this to show correctly. The CustomerType field is already linked to the Contacts table. So all you need to do is show the field in the Customers and Contacts grid.  To do this, edit the screen CRM_CustomerList and edit the grid object. Then on step 2 of the Edit grid wizard, add the CustomerType field to the grid. Click Finish and Publish.

You'll likely need to add or modify your customer types. I would suggest doing this in QuickBooks.  Method does not have a stock screen to enter customer types, and the QuickBooks SDK only allows additions, not modifications.  This means you can add new types through Method, however you cannot modify any existing customer types from within Method.

There is also no way to actually 'link' the rep to the CustomerType. The customer type field is independent of the SalesRep field in QuickBooks.

Again, any sort of customization depends on how you want your workflow to work. You are on the right track with using the existing fields to your advantage. If you are unfamiliar to customization, I would suggest going through our Customization Webinars first before you attempt this.  

Hope this helps,

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 01-27-2014 9:55 PM In reply to

Re: I'm looking for a way to "stick" the customer to the same sales rep even thought the sales rep field changes

Thank you Adam. I'll check the customization and follow  your advice in order to look up customers by customer type. That can help. Is there a way make it so that each rep only sees what I want them to see and not someone else's customers? I want each rep to have a base of customers that does not change unless I re-asign as Admistrator.  The problem is that the "rep" field in QB can change on the sales reciept when the customer re-orders from customer service instead of from the sales rep (important as the rep field establishes if the rep gets commission or not for that particular sale).... I want them to keep working on that customer... but again, the customer vanishes from the sales rep's "base" when the "rep" field changes on the customer sales receipt (it's no longer in filter by view: My active customer contacts). I would like to keep it assigned to the rep even though the sales rep may change on a sales reciept and that the customer be assigned to whatever rep I decide and the customer stays in the rep's "filter by view: my active customer contacts" or "my customer contacts"  Solution?

• 01-28-2014 3:07 PM In reply to

Hi Nancy,

There certainly is. Please see this blog postSharing Customer, Activities and More in Method CRM. It gives a basic rundown on how to share records throughout the CRM.

For the sales rep, it shouldn't change when you enter a sales receipt unless you tell it to. See below:

By clicking Yes in the popup, it reassigns the rep from the Sales Receipt as the rep for the Customer.  Clicking No will keep the original rep.  In Method, there is no such message and if you were to enter a sales receipt (or any other transaction) the Rep would not change. From what I can see, the only reason they are vanishing is because someone of changing the rep in QuickBooks.

Now you could use the CustomerType field as an "Original Rep" field, but this field would not be useful when sharing records. Rather than completely customize all of your Method screens, I would suggest finding the process of how the reps are filling out the receipts and see if that prevents the change.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)