Method Community

Read/Write permissions

Last post 04-15-2010 4:52 PM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-14-2010 1:55 PM

Read/Write permissions

This seems basic but I don't know the answer - can I set permissions so that people can see some records, and not others?

For example, each lawyer can see their clients, but no one else's.

Or some people can write to a record, other people can only read it? And can I do this on a custom table?

Thanks

• 04-15-2010 9:24 AM In reply to

Re: Read/Write permissions

Hello,

Yes, Method allows you to set permissions for specific users/ roles - this is actually one of the big advantages of using Method.  One thing you would want to keep in mind is some sort of identifier, so for instance if you want to filter invoices so that only the Rep for that invoice is allowed to view/ edit it then you would need to have a Rep field on the invoice  so when the user logs in you would run actions to check who is logged in and based on that show those invoices.

Maybe you can fill me in with some more info as to what exactly you are trying to do then I'll give you some pointers on how you can go about doing so.

• 04-15-2010 9:45 AM In reply to

I am going to create a new table, called cases. In that table there will be a number of fields, including two dropdowns that refer to users. One will be "worker" and one will be "supervisor". (so I guess my first question is - how do I create a dropdown that refers to method users).

Then I will create two new roles - worker and supervisor. I want workers to only be able to view and edit cases where they are the worker. And then I want supervisors to only be able to view and edit the cases where they are the supervisor. So how do I set up those roles?

Thanks very much.

• 04-15-2010 4:52 PM In reply to

Hello,

Thanks for the additional information. Not sure if you are aware but we already have a screen for cases. If you have the CRM or Full Blown Edition you would be able to access it. Also with this screen you already have a dropdown that refers to the Method Users so you  can select who the cases are assigned to. This would take care of the 1st part you asked about. If you like you can just copy this screen and modify it.  Check it out and see if that would accomplish what you're looking for.

Note: Since there is a table called Cases already you wouldn't be able to create a table with the same name.

To learn more about how to setup up users/roles please take a look at Webinar 1: http://www.methodintegration.com/cs/blogs/methodblog/archive/2009/07/13/webinar-1-getting-started-with-method.aspx

The last step of the puzzle is to filter your grid. To do this there are a few things you have to put in place. You would want to make sure you add a field to your table to capture the group role of the person entering the invoice. You can either do this by adding actions to your save button or you enter the group name on screen.  You would also what to add an action to capture the role when the screen loads and put it into a share result which you would then use to filter the grid. So basically you would then compare the role of the active user logged in and the role outlined in the case.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)