Method Community

Xora to Method FlexField Mapping NIGHTMARE

Last post 10-12-2009 8:20 AM by Method_Valbon. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-01-2009 12:01 PM

Xora to Method FlexField Mapping NIGHTMARE

Hello everyone! There is a lot of detail in this post, so thank you for reading and offering any advice.

First, I am a XORA user. I rely exclusives on the FlexField Value mapping to transfer my Xora data from Method into QuickBooks. Here is the history of my problem before we get into the new details.

I originally created a list of FlexField Values in WORD and pasted them into Xora. When the data was being transferred into Method, TWO spaces were appearing in front of all of my Values causing NONE of them to map. After copying the entire value list into Notepad, I found a single (ONE) space in front of my values.

I went through and deleted all of the spaces and re-uploaded the values to XORA and had my users re-download the new lists to their phones. This was 10 days ago........

Val,

I am having severe difficulties with the FlexField Value Mapping. After we discovered (10 days ago through the Notepad process) that there was one space in front of each of my field values, I removed them. This was a week and a half ago. Here's the problem. The spaces ARE NOT gone and I'm almost certain that Method is inserting these TWO spaces into my data as it retrieves it from Xora.

SIDE NOTE: On top of that, occasionally Method will not map a FlexField Value that is properly mapped and properly retrieved from Xora. It shows up without any spaces in "Custom 1" (I use the Custom 1 map field to see the original flexfield value) and then doesn't map??   ----UPDATE: What I have discovered is that while it appears that these values are coming through without spaces, they are NOT. When I close and re-open the Job Details, the SPACES APPEAR! (see steps 5-7 below)------

Some of the flexfield values are coming through CORRECTLY without spaces (about 15% of my data) and random ones still have the spaces (85% of the data---I say "random" because it is not always the same FlexField Values that have the spaces). It is very inconsistent. Different users have different values showing up with spaces and some users will have a value map correctly and then have that same value show up with spaces!!??!!

It is very annoying. I have recreated the lists multiple times in Xora and I know for 100% that there are NO spaces at all in any of my values. In order to test to see if Method was adding the spaces, I performed the following sequence:

1. I created a brand new profile in Xora and created a brand new FlexField Value list for this profile. I checked it in Notepad to ensure that there were no spaces in any of the values.

2. I uploaded the new settings to my test phone and recorded a shift with three jobs using these new FlexField Values. These test times occured on 9-30-09 between 7:00pm and 8:25pm.

3. I logged into Method and connected with Xora to transfer the new times.

4. After the new times transferred, I opened the entry to view the details. THIS IS WHERE IT GETS WEIRD

5. The first time I opened the job info, the value in "Custom 1" was correct with No Spaces. BUT IT WASN'T MAPPING!!

6. BECAUSE IT DIDN'T MAP, I went to the Value Mapping screen to double check that I had it mapped. It was correct.

7. When I went back to the job info to look at the value again, IT HAD SPACES. -----So the first time I viewed the details, there were no spaces, then there were spaces. -----After that point, every single VALUE that I imported from XORA with this new profile had TWO SPACES in front of it.

8. Then I went back and deleted the FlexField completely and made a new Field and hand-typed all of the values into the field. I tested it again and it didn't work. Spaces are still appearing in front of all of my data.

9. ANOTHER WEIRD ANOMALY: Because of the SPACING problems, I have been correcting hundreds of these entries by hand. I simply adjust the data in each job entry to reflect what the Value Mapping should have done automatically. After II click "SAVE AND CLOSE", I reopen the same job data and the SPACES DISAPPEAR FROM THE FLEXFIELD VALUES!!!!! So the spaces are there when I correct the data manually, but when I save my changes and reopen the data, they are gone.

This is very frustrating, but it seems like somewhere in the transfer period, spaces are being added to my flexfield values. See the copied data below.

I have spent that last two and half hours trying to fix this issue. Like I said, I am 100% positive that there are NO spaces in any
    of my flexfield values.

However, none of my other FlexField Values are having spaces added to them. I am also not importing them through to Method either.

I would appreciate any help ANYONE can offer.

--------UPDATE: After speaking with Val on the phone, he is going to suggest to Engineering that they add a "TRIM" function to remove any spaces on the FlexField Values. I think that might solve the problem. However, since it is a Method problem at the core, it seems like something internally is adding the spaces to begin with. If the spaces were begin transferred into Method from XORA, then the TRIM function would work, but like I said, I know there are no spaces in my Xora data.

MORE DETAILS: Here is a portion of the XORA DATA that was imported. I don't know if this is possible, but it seems like the spaces are being added as the data is imported----------SEE BELOW:

ExternalTimesID: 73783211X
    InternalJobID: 129851975
    EventID: 11985868
    EventName: Job Start
    FieldName: Item Listing
    FieldValue:   NB:Travel Time                   TWO SPACES ADDED TO THIS VALUE
    ExternalTimesID: 73966911X
    InternalJobID: 129852199
    FieldValue: Aeration                                  NO SPACES ADDED---THIS ONE WORKED
    ExternalTimesID: 73784232X
    InternalJobID: 129852226
    EventID: 11769830
    FieldValue:   NB:Travel Time                       TWO SPACES ADDED
    ExternalTimesID: 73825626X
    InternalJobID: 129852258
    EventID: 11853822
    FieldValue:   NB:Property Checks                TWO SPACES ADDED
    ExternalTimesID: 73966903X
    InternalJobID: 129853186
    FieldValue: Aeration                                   NO SPACES ADDED--THIS ONE WORKED
    ExternalTimesID: 73784235X
    InternalJobID: 129853905
    EventID: 11887822
    FieldValue:   NB:Travel Time                     TWO SPACES ADDED
    InternalJobID: 129854155
    FieldValue:   NB:Travel Time                      TWO SPACES ADDED
    InternalJobID: 129854155
    EventID: 11985863
    EventName: Job End
    FieldName: Work Completed?
    FieldValue: Yes                                           EXAMPLE OF ANOTHER FLEXFIELD---This one is not being mapped.
    ExternalTimesID: 73784234X
    InternalJobID: 129854236
    EventID: 11853817
    FieldValue: Yes
    ExternalTimesID: 73784234X
    InternalJobID: 129854236
    EventID: 11853822
    FieldValue:   NB:Misc                                  TWO SPACES ADDED
    ExternalTimesID: 73784230X
    InternalJobID: 129807838
    EventID: 11843822
    FieldValue: NB:Truck Load                            NO SPACES ADDED
    ExternalTimesID: 73784230X
    InternalJobID: 129807838
    EventID: 11843817
    FieldValue: Yes

• 10-01-2009 3:19 PM In reply to

Re: Xora to Method FlexField Mapping NIGHTMARE

Hi Paul,

We have not been able to duplicate this on our account yet. As this involves both Method and the services from Xora, please allow us to look into this further before getting back to you. I do recall it working for you at one point in the past. We’ll need to isolate where things go wrong and keep you posted.

Thanks for all the details,
    Valbon

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 10-01-2009 10:55 PM In reply to

I HAVE NEVER HAD SO MANY PROBLEMS WITH SOMETHING IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.

Ok, so I was trying a work around by creating a new flexfield list and remapping everything for "Service Item" instead of "Item Listing." (Which I used the API Excel sheet to upload and it worked great) Finally,I got all of my data changed in Xora, test data recorded, and was ready to import it into Method and guess what?

HALF OF MY "CONNECT WITH XORA: STEP 1" SCREEN IS MISSING!!!!!!!!

My entire employee list is GONE. I have not customized it or messed with anything (since it's a locked page) and it's just gone.

WHAT IS UP WITH THAT??????      HERE is the ERROR message I receive when trying to "Get Xora Time":

Action Sequence:2

There has been an error during the action process.

• 10-02-2009 3:50 PM In reply to

Paul,

The missing grid listing your Xora users was not displaying because there was an error with the grids table. Somehow you were able to enter a duplicate field into that table which was giving you errors and preventing the grid from generating a proper view. After removing the duplicated field from the table the grid was able to generate a proper view again.

This sounds like it’s related to one of your previous posts "What does this mean?”. We will wait for your response there.

Val

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 10-02-2009 6:41 PM In reply to

To attack this space problem, I tried a new approach:

I tried to create a whole new set of FlexField Values to see if the problem was with my "Item Listing" FlexField.

Therefore, I created a FlexField named "Service Item" and hand typed all of the values and then used the Excel API to upload the Mapping to the table--GREAT FEATURE!!

I used the new values in XORA with my phone for about 30 minutes and entered 5 or 6 different values. Then I uploaded the data to Method and guess what?

SPACES APPEARED IN FRONT OF ALL OF MY DATA......!!!!!????!!!!! NOTHING MAPPED AT ALL.

WHAT IS THE DEAL??

• 10-06-2009 9:24 AM In reply to

Val, has any progress been made on adding a "TRIM" function to my account? I am going to be doing payroll tomorrow and really really really really need my XORA data to map.

I was thinking that if you wanted to deactivate my account and let me just start over with a fresh method account, maybe that would be better and faster than trying to fix this awful problem. I can just download all of my customer mappings and flex field value mappings to excel and transfer them over to a different account. Just let me know if we should do this so I can download my data. I don't want to lose it.

Also, if I upgraded to the FULL BLOWN EDITION, would I get a new account?---I wouldn't want any of these problems transferring over to my new account. I would want a fresh account with nothing transferring over either automatically or residually (being left on a server attached to my account in any way). I would just transfer my data manually.

• 10-07-2009 8:59 AM In reply to

Paul,

We’ve been looking into this issue and believe we've made some progress. This is one of the situations where it is best to contact you directly and view the information as it is being pulled in from Xora. As your business systems consultant I will make arrangements to contact you.

Creating a new Method account is un-necessary. Any Method updates are pushed out to all users. However, there is currently no upgrade/downgrade process from Method Xora accounts to Method Full Blown or vice-versa. If you are considering the upgrade, perhaps we should discuss this before making the decision.

Val

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 10-07-2009 11:17 AM In reply to

Is there a way we can get this done today? It would save me HOURS of work tomorrow fixing all of these mapping problems.

Also, I am not looking to upgrade to Full Blown right now.

Thanks.

• 10-08-2009 9:41 AM In reply to

Paul,

After our scheduled call and the notes from your email we are able to duplicate this in your account. I can definitely understand the urgency considering this Method app can save you hours of time. Smile We’ll contact you and respond to this post as soon as we have an update.

Val

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 10-12-2009 8:20 AM In reply to

Paul wrote the following via email:

“Initial tests have been successful. It seems like everything is mapping properly. Thanks for the help. I'll lef you know if I see any abnormal data.”

Paul,

An update was made to ‘trim’ and accommodate for uppercasing on both Shift Flex Field Values and names and for Job Flex Field Values and names. Thanks for all your help!

Val

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)