Method Community

Adding custome field into lead/customer fields

Last post 11-26-2012 8:27 AM by Method_Adam. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-23-2012 2:36 PM

• tom
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-20-2012
    • Posts 19

Adding custome field into lead/customer fields

I have watched the webinars, have copied customer screens and have added fields to tables, etc. I have the basics down, but without having a better overall view of the process and screen flow, I am doing a lot of trial and error and it is taking along time with no clear result in sight.

I wish to create 2 globally accessable shared variables. One is (LineOfBusiness) so when a lead comes into the office a field exists with a dropdown that give 5 options residential solar commercial solar, solar cleaning, electrical and multi. The result must get stored in the customer record and be available for viewing in all customers, leads and opportunies, as well as edit and view screen. Is there one central table that controls all these specific fields? All I end up with is a drop down box or a entry line with no value. Having trouble connecting the variable entry and the display, as well as knowing which additional screens and/or tables need to include to code for the selected variable to display while allowing it to be changed if orginally entered incorrectly.

The other custom field would be on the customer screens only, I wish to have a globally accessable shared variable that will be called (KW) and it in decimal to 3 digits that will attach to the customer record and display on all customer screens. Again I have tables and fields with similar names but an not sure when I attempt to add them to a screen if I am using the correct series of customization wizard entries properly for my desired outcome. 

Once I have these copied pages working I would like those page to be made the default pages, but am not clear on how to get my method to view those in a manner other than as a copied tab. I deleted several of the created pages only to find them returning the next day.

The webinar is very basic and does not help me identify the best process to accomplish my speficic requests and as I hunt and peck for the proper combination of tables, fields, screen, dropdown and actions, I accomplish small pieces of the puzzle but fail to get my desired result.

Also, I would like the notes screen to be avaiable within the additional information section with an option to hide.

Additionally on all previous crm systems there were 3 states, create, edit and view. I am finding that method does not have a view state. So the edit must somehow pull up variable atteched to the customer record that are not being changed.

I have customized many crm systems and need a little direction in the abscense of written documentation that would detail accomplishing what I believe is a relatively simple task.

Thanks you in advance for your assistance.

tom

• 11-23-2012 5:03 PM In reply to

Re: Adding custome field into lead/customer fields

Answer

Hi Tom,

I'm going to try and break this down in parts.

tom:

Is there one central table that controls all these specific fields? All I end up with is a drop down box or a entry line with no value. Having trouble connecting the variable entry and the display, as well as knowing which additional screens and/or tables need to include to code for the selected variable to display while allowing it to be changed if orginally entered incorrectly.

For this the main table is the customer table which relates to most of the other tables you'll need.  If you wish to inlcude this field in the Opportunities table, you'll need to add a linked field.  As far as adding a Line Of Business field, have you considered using the exisiting Customer Type field?  Whenever you can, it is good practice to use an existing field so that whatever is updated in Method, is updated in Quickbooks.  If you wish to add it as an additional field, what you want to do is add the LineOfBusiness field to the Customer table as a dropdown type,.  In your dropdown choices, you'll have the option to create a new table with your Line Of Business types.  Always make sure to create a copy of the screen when editing and then add the LineOfBusiness field.

tom:

Again you can add the field to the customer table.  When creating the screen, you will be able to drag and drop that field onto the screen. If you can’t find the screens you need to copy to add this field, you can hover over the stock screen tab link you want to edit.  Screen shot   This will show you the name of the screen.  Then just make a copy and edit it.

Again you can add the field to the customer table.  When creating the screen, you will be able to drag and drop that field onto the screen. If you can’t find the screens you need to copy to add this field, you can hover over the stock screen tab link you want to edit.  This will show you the name of the screen.

tom:

Once I have these copied pages working I would like those page to be made the default pages, but am not clear on how to get my method to view those in a manner other than as a copied tab. I deleted several of the created pages only to find them returning the next day.

I’m not sure what you mean by returned?  Are you sure you deleted them?  When copying a screen, you are given the option of adding the screen as a tab link to a tab.   

When you are sure you want the pages to replace your default pages, you can make another copy, then choose the replace all tab links option.  You will be given the option of what screen you want to replace.

As far as the notes screen, you can simply add the notes field to the screen.  You'll want to make sure to change the number of lines, as its currently set to one.

I hope this puts you on the right path. 

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 11-23-2012 6:35 PM In reply to

• tom
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-20-2012
    • Posts 19

Thank you for your reply. I would like to take your advice and use the type field and to add the options to the type drop down. I went in and can not seem to add options to the box containing the other type and I can not seem to access the field. If I need to copy something it is unclear what Perhaps you can instruct me on added items to the drop down. i do not see this type of modification in your webinars.

Perhaps this type change must be made in quickbooks?

Looking forward to your reply.

• 11-23-2012 6:58 PM In reply to

• tom
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-20-2012
    • Posts 19

This screen has a line that says edit existing field but does not allow that action - The field ParentFullName is the drop down I need to edit. Please advise

• 11-26-2012 8:27 AM In reply to

You're correct.  This type of change has to be made in Quickbooks.  Once the change syncs, you should see the changes in Method.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)