Method Community

Using trigger action to create a task

Last post 02-05-2013 8:35 AM by Method_Adam. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-01-2013 5:50 PM

Using trigger action to create a task

I tried to search for this one, thinking someone would have asked, but I couldn't find it. So forgive me if I missed it. Previously I asked about sending an email based on an action such as checking a box. That's a built-in Advanced function. Can I do the same with a task? I can't seem to find that option.

So the process would go as follows - check a box. It would create a task for either a person or (better) a resource, such as Appointments or Training Room. It would transfer the data from the other screen (New Lead), filling the contact information, as well as which checkbox(s) were checked, as they would be on the Create Task page. This way the person receiving the task would know that it involved multiple divisions.

Thanks!

• 02-04-2013 3:41 PM In reply to

Re: Using trigger action to create a task

You can definitely create a task by clicking a checkbox.  I would recommend looking at the actions on the Add/Edit activity screen, specifically the Save button.  I sounds like what you want to accomplish isn't too different from scheduling a follow up.  Am I correct with this?  You can use shared results to store the values you need, and then use the 'Insert Records into Table' action to create a new task.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 02-04-2013 7:34 PM In reply to

Yes, but this would be an automated action by checking a different checkbox. Imagine making a yes/no field called, "Likes Broccoli?" When a new lead is created, and they click the box, then it creates a task for a user named Steve to call them within 24 hours of the lead creation, creating a custom title for the outbound phonecall (type), named "Discuss varieties of broccoli." How do you do that?

• 02-05-2013 8:35 AM In reply to

It would be almost the same as a follow up.  You can store the information you need (the name of the Lead and any associated info) into action results when the checkbox is checked using 'Retrieve Value from Screen' action.  Then on the save button, you can insert a record into the activity table to create the task, using the values you saved into the action results.  You could even send email reminders, much like our follow ups do.  Again I'd make a copy of the activity screen and go through the actions on the save button.  It contains most of the actions you need to do a customization like this.

To create a custom Activity Type, you could either insert the new activity type into the ActivityType table (when the task is created), or create them before hand based on the catagories you have.  You can get to the Activity Type List screen by clicking the ... next to the ActivityType dropdown, or by viewing the screen from the Customize > Screens tab.  If you decide to create the activity types when the task is created, be sure to use Conditional Statements to make sure a duplicate activity type is not created.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)