Method Community

Method database field size question.

Last post 01-31-2012 9:53 AM by viret56. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-31-2012 8:57 AM

• viret56
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-10-2012
    • Virginia
    • Posts 79

Method database field size question.

The Method table 'EstimateLine' has the field 'Other1' with a size of 29. We use this field in QuickBooks to store the color of the line item. In QuickBooks we can write a very long color description, much longer than the 29 characters allowed in the Method field. When I try to edit the size of the field I get the message, "This is a core accounting field and cannot be edited." Would it be possible for you or someone at Method to increase the size of this field to 4095 (same size as the description field), at least for our particular account?

• 01-31-2012 9:10 AM In reply to

Re: Method database field size question.

Answer

@viret56 - unfortunately, no.  While QuickBooks itself may support more than 29 characters now, the QuickBooks SDK which we use to interact with QuickBooks is still stuck at 29. Our hands are tied. If we allowed more characters there, you'd be littered with conflicts, as none of your Estimates would be accepted into QuickBooks.

Here's a public SDK listing of the fields. http://developer.intuit.com/qbSDK-Current/Common/newOSR/index.html

(best viewed with Internet Explorer, and you need a PHd to know how to use their on screen reference guide!!!......but just in case you don't believe me, that's the hard facts!)

Paul

• 01-31-2012 9:53 AM In reply to

• viret56
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-10-2012
    • Virginia
    • Posts 79

Re: Method database field size question.

Answer

Thanks Paul.  I use the QuickBooks SDK and am often frustrated with its limitations.  That said, I usually find a way around.  To bad I can't join the Intuit team and help them improve their SDK.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)