Method Community

Character function problem

Last post 02-10-2012 3:58 PM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-27-2012 1:55 PM

• Rolf
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-18-2011
    • Posts 109

Character function problem

I'm using the  character functions Find Character, Get Right and Get Left (with the January version)  to extract a customer's first and  last names from the field 'Customer Name', which we use in the form   LastName,FirstName.

The functions have two problems that I've noticed:

1. When I edit the Get Right and Get Left funtions with the appropriate values, save them, and subsequently reopen them, some of the values revert back to default. This is annoying but workable in the interim.

2. When I edit the 'Customer Name' field and then use my function to extract the names, the results are sometimes wrong and/or inconsistent, making this unuseable.

Hopefully, this can be remedied soon.

thanks,

Rolf

• 01-30-2012 8:44 AM In reply to

Re: Character function problem

Hi Rolf, 

For 2, can you please give me some examples of the results that you are getting that are incorrect?

Ronen

• 01-30-2012 2:25 PM In reply to

• Rolf
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-18-2011
    • Posts 109

Ronen,

In my example of   Lastname,Firstname  it would do things like extract and add the comma, ie.  ,Firstname      and    Lastname.  Then if I editted the customer name field to for example Lname,Fname   it might extract something like Lna  and Fnam,

or maybe Lname,Fn    and am.

I just did another quick test and it seems to be related to a change in the number of characters in the name.  I'm suspecting the Find character function is not updating the count properly.

Rolf

• 02-10-2012 3:58 PM In reply to

Hi Rolf,

I just wanted to let you know that I was able to duplicate the issue here on my end and will create an internal ticket for the team and will update you once I have an update. 

Ronen

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)