Method Community

Table creation and field linking.

Last post 12-13-2012 3:26 PM by Method_Adam. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-13-2012 9:05 AM

• andy
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-10-2012
    • Liverpool, UK
    • Posts 139

Table creation and field linking.

I'm new to Method CRM and am looking for some detailed documentation on table/ field design and creation, in particular best practices.

Initially I am looking to create a couple of new screens for entering and displaying client details for various hosting packages and support options we provide.

I would like to link the new tables with the Customer table using the CustomerName field. At the moment the only option available when linking is to use the RecordID.

Andrew Cliff
    Systems Manager
    CS Consult
  • 12-13-2012 10:14 AM In reply to

Re: Table creation and field linking.

Hi Andy,

Welcome to Method.  We have webinars on customization that should be helpful.  You can find them here.  In general, we suggest you always try to add fields to existing tables whenver possible.  This makes modifying existing screens easier and streamlines the database.   

How are you trying to link the tables currently?  Is CustomerName a field in your table?  For linking customers, you can create a Customer dropdown box on your screen that links to the Customer table.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 12-13-2012 10:30 AM In reply to

• andy
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-10-2012
    • Liverpool, UK
    • Posts 139

I'm currently trying to link the tables via the CustomerName field in the Customer table, but the only option I am getting is the RecordID field.

Initially I was looking at the CustomerEquipment table because it already links to the Customer table with the rule "Displaying FullName field from the Customer table".

Andrew Cliff
    Systems Manager
    CS Consult
  • 12-13-2012 3:26 PM In reply to

Answer

Andy,

I don't see a CustomerName field in my Customer table, is this a field you put in?  There's a Name field and a Customer field.  The Customer field is a dropdown box, which is what we use to link screens and tables together.  For instance, the Activity table has a Contacts dropdown that is linked to the Contacts table.  This allows us to link contacts to activities.

In the CustomerEquipment table you'll see a Customer dropdown field at the top.  This is what links the Customer table to the CustomerEquipment table.  I'd suggest you do the same type of modification to your two tables and add a Customer dropdown field that is linked to the customer dropdown in Customer.  This will then create a link between the two tables.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)