Method Community

second columns in grid not showing

Last post 07-29-2013 3:30 PM by Anonymous. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-27-2013 12:12 PM

second columns in grid not showing

In the advanced properties for a field in a grid I have created it looks like I should be able to add other columns to show in that grid. My field is linked to a table that has numbers (ListOrder) and then another field with text field (BirthMonth) so would like to show both the numbers and text field in my grid. Perhaps I am confused as to how this is supposed to work?

Actually it would be nice to show just the text field (BirthMonth) in the grid and ignore the numbers altogether but you can only select ListOrder in the 1st column.

The field is a dropdown with months of the year in and to get them in order when people select a month I had to use the ListOrder field otherwise the months would be alphabetical and not in order. Perhaps there is a better way to do that as well?

Hope I am making sense.

Dropdown Properties Additional Columns
    1st Column:     ListOrder via CompleteMonth  2nd Column:     BirthMonth  ListOrder  RecordID 
    Field Type: Integer 3rd Column:     BirthMonth  ListOrder  RecordID 
    General Properties
     Column Width pixels% of available width  
    Cell Alignment Override:     Left  Center  Right 
    Hidden when screen first loads? Make Read Only

• 07-29-2013 3:30 PM In reply to

Re: second columns in grid not showing

Answer

Hi Ben B,

You are partially correct.  First of all, please notice that you are only able to select the “Additional Columns” option from a dropdown Field.  The issue you are running into is that the dropdown menu is not currently visible in your grid.  In order to enable the dropdown selection in a grid, you must go to edit your grid, then go to “step 5 of 9, Allow Editing”.  By making sure the option for “editing takes place directly in the grid” is selected, the dropdown menu will now be available. Now if you go to view t this screen select the dropdown in the row and field you want to view the additional columns for and they should now show up.

If you do not wish to allow editing from the grid, you can add a dropdown field below your grid to represent this column, then after hitting the “Select” link from a record in your grid (if not already there, edit your grid, and in “Step 2 of 9: Grid Columns”, insert a “Link” called “select”).  Then, edit your new dropdown field, go to “Step 4 of 6: Dropdown Choices”, and add the additional columns you want to be viewable when the dropdown menu is selected. 

You also asked what the reason is that you must select the “ListOrder” field to be the first column for this dropdown.  With Dropdown lists the field in the first column MUST be a unique field, there is no getting around this.  I am not exactly sure of your setup, however it might be possible to make the column you want displayed first as unique, but again, it all depends on how this table was made.

- Method_Ben

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)