Method Community

Adding "Markup" total to Estimates

Last post 07-25-2013 1:26 PM by Method_Adam. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-23-2013 10:17 AM

Adding "Markup" total to Estimates

I am trying to add a total "markup" or profit for the estimate, at the bottom like it is in quickbooks (under the subtotal and above the total).   I asked our consultant for some help and here is what he said:

'You can set the markup column in the grid to have subtotals calculated for you in the grid itself. At the botton you can see a total of the markup column. If  you need to have it fleshed out like quickbooks you can create a new field in the estimate table which will do a sum on th screen once all line items are entered into the system and you press Save'

I tried to follow this but it didnt make sense for me.  I'm trying to avoid having to pay $125 an hour to have this done, so can you guys tell me step by step how i can achieve this?  I cant simply add up the mark up columns thats there now as some line items have a flat $ markup and other line items have a % markup.   So how can i create a new box at the bottom that has the total of all of the markup amounts from each line item?   Greatly appreciate your help!

• 07-24-2013 4:52 PM In reply to

Re: Adding "Markup" total to Estimates

Answer

Hi David,

In your case, what you could do is loop through the grid and do 3 Basic Math Calculations.  The first would be to get the QTY times the Rate.  The M

arkup is added after the Rate x QTY, so we'll need this number calculated for each line item. Save it as an action result (ex. QTYxR).

Then, take the action result from the first calculation (QTYxR) and subtract it from the Amount field.  This will give you the markup for the line item. Save it as an action result (ex. LineMarkup)  Then simply do one more Basic Math Calculation to add the action result from the second calculation to the an action result to hold the total markup (ex. TotalMarkup + LineMarkup).

In total, this woud be about 6 to 7 actions.  One to create the TotalMarkup (Assign value to action result), start loop through grid, your 3 calculations, your end loop, then enter value into field.

If you have any questions along the way, please let me know.

Hope this helps.

Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 07-25-2013 1:26 PM In reply to

Re: Adding "Markup" total to Estimates

David - Just wanted to let you know that the above post meant to say 6 to 7 actions.  It's been corrected.  Let me know if you have any questions.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)