Method Community

Screen Disappeared After Publishing

Last post 05-22-2015 1:09 PM by Method_Audisho. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-21-2015 3:19 PM

Screen Disappeared After Publishing

I've been working on a screen for a few days, and it has been working properly up until now. After making a few changes, clicking on the tab link that leads to the screen shows the following error message: "We were unable to resolve your request. Either the screen you are trying to access does not exist, or there was a problem with your request". The only things I did on the page was add a new grid, and a few buttons. The screen cannot be viewed by going to Customize --> Screens --> View for that specific screen as I get the same error message. Is there anything that may have caused the page to stop functioning/loading when it was working fine before the few changes?

EDIT: To clarify, I am working on a page to edit an existing case, and the table I added was the Documents table, and added buttons for "Link existing document", "Add new document", and one that hides/clears/shows fields on the screen

Jason Kim
    jason@arcor-inc.com
    www.arcor-inc.com
  • 05-21-2015 3:40 PM In reply to

Re: Screen Disappeared After Publishing

Hi Jason,

You can try re-publishing the screen or making a copy of the screen to re-generate it. If this fails, shoot me an email with the company account and screen names. I’ll have the screen regenerated from the back end and see if this fixes it.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    Method:CRM
    a.sada@method.me
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Local & Overseas: 416.847.0400
    Fax: 416.640.6027
  • 05-21-2015 7:19 PM In reply to

I have sent a response via email regarding the specifics of this issue. I have deleted the button that was causing this screen error/crash, and it has been working. I'm not sure how to re-create this error, but it is also mentioned in the email. If anything else changes or if the error comes up again, I will post here!

Just for note on this thread that caused the issue, maybe it can be looked in to:

• Screen worked fine while editing other elements on the page
    • Addition of a button caused the screen to not load and give an error saying the page is unavailable when the screen was accessed in Method.
    • The button specifically did the following: Hide 2 buttons on screen, hide 6 text fields on screen, clear 6 text fields on screen, and clear a dropdown box text on screen.
    • The button itself was never executed or called by any other action set. It was simply on the page in the first section (invisible on page load).
    • Name of the button was [PageActions]
    Jason Kim
    jason@arcor-inc.com
    www.arcor-inc.com
  • 05-22-2015 9:30 AM In reply to

Hi Jason,

I’m glad to hear you were able to resolve this. I do have a question though. Were you able to rebuild the button or do you receive the same error when you try to add it back?

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 05-22-2015 1:01 PM In reply to

The only way I got it to work was to create a new button and redo all the actions again manually. I did notice that even if I created a new button and simply used "Copy Action" to transfer the actions from the error-causing button to the new button, the error would persist. 

Could the button become corrupt in any way if the publishing process was interrupted? For example:

• While page is publishing, the browser is closed or internet connection times out
    • If I logged into the same account on a different computer, but the page was not published yet on the other computer and the session timed out
    As far as I remember, I don't recall any interruption in the publishing process unless my internet timed out momentarily
    Jason Kim
    jason@arcor-inc.com
    www.arcor-inc.com
  • 05-22-2015 1:09 PM In reply to

Hi Jason,

My guess is that you had an error in your action set that you overlooked. This would explain why the original button and the copy caused this issue, but the rebuilt button did not.

Once you select publish, the processing and building of the screen is all done server-side. Closing you tab, signing out, losing your connection or signing in elsewhere should not have any effect on this process.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)