Method Community

Creating an activities list on a custom screen - can I copy the grid object yet?

Last post 01-12-2012 12:03 PM by smohyee. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-10-2012 7:30 PM

Creating an activities list on a custom screen - can I copy the grid object yet?

Here's what I'm trying to do: I've got a custom home screen going, with a custom grid I've created and a nice layout I'm working on. I would like to add a near-identical version of the grid on the "Activities List" screen. It seems my options are

1) painstakingly recreate the grid by switching back and forth between editing the screens and manually copying the grid columns, filters, etc, or

2) copy the Activities List screen,and keep the grid while editing everything else to turn that copy into the home screen I want (but also losing all the customization on the current home screen I was working on).

The obvious third option would be the abiilty to copy the grid from the Activities List screen and stick it in my current custom screen where I can modify it as necessary. But a quick search revealed that as of early 2011, there wasn't a way to copy objects/sections between screens.

To be fair, I know I can copy action lists between objects. But from what I understand this won't help with copying grids. Is there an equivalent way to copy column names, filters, etc?

• 01-11-2012 9:54 AM In reply to

Re: Creating an activities list on a custom screen - can I copy the grid object yet?

Answer

Hi Smohyee,

At this time, we are not able to directly copy and paste the grid object to another screen. 

I have taken a note of this concern and will bring it as a suggestion to the team. 

I don't know if or when a feature like this will be added to Method, but If it is going to be added, you will be notified by our release notes. 

I hope that clarifies the issue. 

Ronen

• 01-11-2012 12:02 PM In reply to

Re: Creating an activities list on a custom screen - can I copy the grid object yet?

Thanks for the response, Ronen. I hope you guys seriously consider adding this feature! While I won't be waiting on this to address my current task, I'm certain that it's going to come up again as I continue to customize, and I bet I'm far from the only one who wishes this were available.

Transfering/copying objects between screens (and within a screen, for that matter) strikes me as an obvious ability to provide for ease of customization, which is one of the big selling points of Method. Imagine if the IDE your programmers use didn't support ctrl-c/ctrl-v!

• 01-11-2012 12:20 PM In reply to

smohyee,

We hear you loud and clear.  Just to add to what Ronen mention, this is actually a massive job to add this capability, something our current designer isn't capable of handling.  Ideally it would be as easy as just copying and pasting values from one screen to another but there are a long list of factors that prevent this from being possible and need to be taken into consideration.  Things like if the grid is attached or detached, if the screen being copied too has the same base table or not, if you have permissions on that other screen to copy the object.  That's just a few of the concerns. 

Having designed a lot of the standard CRM screens, I would have loved this so I'm just as much in your corner.  However, it likely won't come until we have a revamped designer screen which we hope to have down the road.  

Have fun designing and welcome to Method.

• 01-12-2012 12:03 PM In reply to

Fair enough. Though I'm sad that the feature is a long way off, I can understand why.

As always, thanks for the prompt and honest responses.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)