Method Community

Creating a new portal

Last post 04-25-2012 8:20 AM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-23-2012 5:23 PM

Creating a new portal

Before getting too in over my head, I'm looking for a little info on how to go about creating a new Third-Party Portal for a contractor/vendor/employee who is not a Method user, but may need to enter time and/or expenses.

If I include the QuickBooks_Time Tracking Screen, I see it looks at the Entity table, so a filter could be created, and all other necessary fields should be available. For expenses - is there any way for expenses to be submitted by a non-user?

I imagine there will be plenty of customization involved, I am just hoping to identify the relationships involved and to ensure this is possible.

Thanks!

• 04-24-2012 4:24 PM In reply to

Re: Creating a new portal

Answer

Hi AutumnW,

AutumnW:
    I'm looking for a little info on how to go about creating a new Third-Party Portal for a contractor/vendor/employee who is not a Method user...

These people do not have to be Method users they just have to have a portal setup where they can register as Portal users.

AutumnW:
    If I include the QuickBooks_Time Tracking Screen, I see it looks at the Entity table, so a filter could be created, and all other necessary fields should be available. For expenses - is there any way for expenses to be submitted by a non-user?

Since you're thinking about using the Entity table (would also work with tables like; Customer, Vendor, Employee or Other) the portals will have built in filters to only display that particular Entity’s related records.

You're correct about this being customization work but it may not be as much work as you think.  Feel free to contact us for consulting if you require assistance.

In the meantime I'm going to link you to a few webinars that you might find helpful:

Getting started with Tables and Fields

Introduction to the Customization Screen

New Contacts Portal with Payment Gateway Integration

Web Forms

~C

• 04-24-2012 6:10 PM In reply to

I hadn't originally thought of it, but it seems like a web form, using fields from the TimeTracking/Expenses tables within a Portal would accomplish what I'm looking to do.
    I watched the webinar on setting up forms and I am not our developer - but is it possible to add the html code provided when setting up a web form, to a portal? Where/how would I do that?
    Thanks!

• 04-25-2012 8:20 AM In reply to

AutumnW:
    ...is it possible to add the html code provided when setting up a web form, to a portal? Where/how would I do that?

Portals and web forms are separate areas, a portal lives on our site so it will have the tab style navigation and colour scheme you setup under Customize > Display.  Web forms live on your website so you have full control over the HTML.  Step 9 of 9 when creating a web form is where you will get the HTML - here you can modify the HTML to suit your needs before putting the code on your website.  

Please let me know if this answers your question.

~C

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)