Method Community

Change How a Field Is Linked

Last post 02-16-2012 4:25 PM by Blake C. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-15-2012 1:32 PM

Change How a Field Is Linked

Rather than a SalesRep initial, I want to use a new field called PreferredName I added for each Rep (via Employee). I want to see this in a column on the Customer Contacts grid (I'm customizing it).

I couldn't modify how the SalesRep dropdown was linked to Customer, so I had to first remove it (from the edit customer screen, and then from the table itself). I then added the field back to the table, choosing to use the PreferredName field rather than Initial. Then added it back to the edit customer screen where it now shows the preferred name. In order for Contacts to link to the PreferredName for a SalesRep, it seems I have to go through even more hassle because Activity, Opportunity, and Case tables also link to this field.

My Question: Is there a way to modify how a field is linked to a table without having to remove the field and add it back?

It's a very time consuming and risky proposition to remove all these screen UI elements followed by the subsequent fields in these tables and then try and put them back. It's error prone, too. Adding to the difficulty is the liklihood that you will have to modify (now broken) actions that use the field.

Does this make sense? What am I missing?

Thanks

Blake C
  • 02-16-2012 3:18 PM In reply to

Re: Change How a Field Is Linked

Answer

Hi Blake C,

When you have a dropdown type field in the table, you always have to delete the field if you want break the current link to the current field and relink to a new field within the table. 

You should be ok for the Activity, Opportunity, and Case tables, because by default they don't have the SalesRep dropdown unless you want to add a new dropdown there.

I hope that this helps.

Ronen

• 02-16-2012 4:25 PM In reply to

Re: Change How a Field Is Linked

Answer

I guess it's just the nature of data driven applications (from a single source db) with no abstractions in between. It just makes for a very long tail when attempting to customize and change things.

thx

Blake C
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)