Method Community

Real Time or Periodic Sync?

Last post 02-06-2014 8:04 AM by Method_Adam. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-27-2011 2:07 AM

• DaveS
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2009
    • Boulder, Colorado
    • Posts 87

Real Time or Periodic Sync?

Does Method sync in real time, or is it periodic sync?    For example I have my Method sync option set to every 20 minutes.  Other than manually running the sync, does Method and QB on my PC sync automatically only once every 20 minutes? 

I've noticed some transactions sync right away even without manually running the sync.   Do some type of transactions sync automatically right away, and some do not?  Can I set it up so all new transactions sync automatically right away?

I'd like to get a good understanding.  Thank you.

Dave Sakamoto CPA, MBA
    Founder and CEO Info On The Web
    Dave.Sakamoto@InfoOnTheWeb.com
  • 11-28-2011 8:53 AM In reply to

Re: Real Time or Periodic Sync?

Hi Dave-

If the Method Sync engine is running on the computer that is designated the main syncing computer, when any change is made in Method it will get pushed automatically to QB and vice versa (To have changes come over automatically from QB to Method you will need to make sure that you install the Method sync engine on all computers with QB.).

The 20 minute interval you have setup is to pick up any changes that may have been missed and didn't get pushed for example changes made in QB on a computer that does not have the sync engine installed.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
  • 11-28-2011 2:17 PM In reply to

• DaveS
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2009
    • Boulder, Colorado
    • Posts 87

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the good news that the sync is automatic via Push.  2 questions:

1.  The Push sometimes occurs right away, sometimes not.  How fast should the Push occur, 10 seconds, 30 seconds?

2.  Where can I get more information about this Push, such as how it works, etc.  I have a client that wants to know more.

Dave 

Dave Sakamoto CPA, MBA
  • 11-28-2011 3:49 PM In reply to

Dave-

DaveS:
    1.  The Push sometimes occurs right away, sometimes not.  How fast should the Push occur, 10 seconds, 30 seconds?

It normally happens within 5 seconds or so when you click Save. The reason this time can vary could be if the engine is not connected or if a full or changes only sync is currently running.

DaveS:
    2.  Where can I get more information about this Push, such as how it works, etc.  I have a client that wants to know more.

There isn't much to the MethodPush as far as a user should be concerned, basically anytime a transaction/vendor/customer/employee etc... is modified in QB or Method the change is pushed(If the sync engine is running).

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 11-30-2011 1:49 PM In reply to

• DaveS
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2009
    • Boulder, Colorado
    • Posts 87

Michael,

Please provide add'l detail about your comment below so I can answer my clients questions: 
    "The 20 minute interval you have setup is to pick up any changes that may have been missed and didn't get pushed for example changes made in QB on a computer that does not have the sync engine installed."

Questions:
    1.  If QB is running on a computer that does not have the sync engine installed, that would never sync to Method right?  So when would manually running the sync affect these computers which does not have the sync engine installed?

2.  Do some QB using clients have a network of PCs where only the main PC is linked to Method, and all the other computers feed QB transactions to the one main PC?  In this situation is the main PC the only one with the sync engine, or should all the PCs have the sync engine installed?

3. Other than running the Full Sync after the initial installation of the sync engine, is there any need to run the Full or Change Only Sync manually?

Sorry if some of my questions are very basic, they all help me to get a full understanding.  Thanks.  Dave

Dave Sakamoto CPA, MBA
  • 11-30-2011 2:09 PM In reply to

Answer

Dave-

DaveS:
    1.  If QB is running on a computer that does not have the sync engine installed, that would never sync to Method right?  So when would manually running the sync affect these computers which does not have the sync engine installed?

If QB is running on a computer that does not have the Method Sync Engine installed any changes made to QuickBooks from that computer will not get picked up until the Changes Only sync happens (Either manually or at the set interval).

DaveS:
    2.  Do some QB using clients have a network of PCs where only the main PC is linked to Method, and all the other computers feed QB transactions to the one main PC?  In this situation is the main PC the only one with the sync engine, or should all the PCs have the sync engine installed?

All PC's that use QB should have the sync engine installed. When Method gets installed on a computer that is not designated as the main syncing computer it goes into listen only mode and listens for any changes that a user makes and sends it to QB. 

DaveS:
    3. Other than running the Full Sync after the initial installation of the sync engine, is there any need to run the Full or Change Only Sync manually?

You shouldn't need to run either manually unless you notice data missing.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 02-05-2014 9:54 AM In reply to

• haident
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-25-2010
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 43

How does this get impacted if there are multiple QuickBooks files beginning used with separate Method accounts for each?

Is the main syncing computer the first PC where the Method Sync engine got installed? Can this be changed?

How do other PCs that have the Sync Engine install know that they should be in listening mode?

In regard to having multiple QuickBooks files in use; if the main computer or the other PCs have a second company file open am I corrrect that syncing will not occur?

What is the best practice with multiple Quick Books files to prevent syncing problems?

Haiden W. Turner
    Winged Disc Technologies, LLC
    Dallas, Texas
  • 02-06-2014 8:04 AM In reply to

Hi Haiden,

I'm going to try to aswer each of your questions individually.

"How does this get impacted if there are multiple QuickBooks files beginning used with separate Method accounts for each?"

You can have multiple QB files installed on the same computer. The sync engine will launch for the right account when the company file is opened.

"Is the main syncing computer the first PC where the Method Sync engine got installed? Can this be changed?"

Initially yes, it is the first computer to sync to Method. You can change this at any time. There is a button on the QuickBooks > Synchronize page where you can reset the main computer to sync with. When this is reset, then the next computer to complete a full sync will become the main syncing computer.

"Is the main syncing computer the first PC where the Method Sync engine got installed? Can this be changed?"

In short, yes. Method will look to the main computer to do the syncing. Unless this is reset (with the button from above) than all of the main syncing will happen on the main computer.

"In regard to having multiple QuickBooks files in use; if the main computer or the other PCs have a second company file open am I corrrect that syncing will not occur?"

You are correct, it will not. The sync engine will not connect to the account. It may launch, but there will be no Method credentials in the sync engine. Also, along with the "main syncing computer" there is also the "QuickBooks file to sync with". Method will not sync a file that doesn't match this. Rarely should this ever be reset.

"What is the best practice with multiple Quick Books files to prevent syncing problems?"

There really shouldn't be any syncing problems. Since the sync engine will relaunch with with each company file with the correct Method credentials for each account, there really isn't any best practice to follow. I've run multiple test files on the same machine here for my test accounts and never had an issue.

Hope this helps,

Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)