Method Community

Invoice errors

Last post 05-18-2012 9:27 AM by Anonymous. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-16-2012 5:24 PM

Invoice errors

We are currently creating invoices in our QBO file and transitioning this task to Method.

For some reason, when viewing invoices in Method, the BillAddress fields are  mis-aligned. Invoices look fine in QBO, but in Method, the company and contact names are not displaying for many records.

I knew the information was available, just not aligned/displaying properly. So to fix it, I exported the customer table, corrected the missing information and imported the records back in. 

When I create a new customer and/or a new invoice, I don't seem to be having any problems. Although when I try to email, it tells me 0 emails were sent. I assume this is a setting that needs to be enabled. If you have a solution for that, I'd appreciate it.

The real errors come (and the point of this post) when I try to view an existing invoice that was created in QBO. I get 2 different errors, depending on what I'm doing, once the invoice is selected in the grid. I was afraid this would happen - None of the invoice records updated the BillTo fields in the invoice table that I had corrected in the customer table. So here's what I did:

1. I tried reselecting the customer from the drop down list to see if their updated info would update the invoice BillTo fields. It appears to, but when I try to save it I get the following error:

The 'Save' action could not be completed.

Validation on: ARAccount.

Validation rule: = Accounts Receivable

Additional Informaiton

Actions Sequence Order:27

This is confusing on a few levels, but I'll tell you what the next error is first before I get to my real questions.

2. Made a change (deleted a line item) from an existing invoice and tried to save, but received the following error:

! Account is a required field. Please enter a value.

Since there is no account field on the invoice screen (it is custom btw), my first thought was to check the fields in the invoice table. But there is no Account field in the Invoice table.

This seems very strange because how do you require a field that doesn't exist? And how are the invoices being creating in QBO without generating any errors?

I've thought of some solutions, but would appreciate some confirmation that I'm on the right track and there isn't a bigger problem somewhere.

Will these steps resolve the errors?

1. Add a linked Account dropdown field to the invoice table that will default to the Accounts Receiveable Account

2. Export the invoice table records and update the BillTo and Account fields as needed

TIA!

• 05-17-2012 8:44 AM In reply to

Re: Invoice errors

Hi Autumn,

Lot's of information in your post here, I'm just working through the details and will respond as soon as I can.

~C

• 05-17-2012 10:26 AM In reply to

Answer

AutumnW:
    I assume this is a setting that needs to be enabled.

This should work for you, on my stock QBO screen I had no trouble sending or receiving an email from Method on a QBO created invoice.  Check the email address and the email settings in your Method account.

AutumnW:
    Will these steps resolve the errors?

Without seeing what was done on the custom page I can only guess but you might want to check step 7 of editing a grid - you might have a validation rule setup.  To test this add a new line to and instead of clicking save, click Update.

~C

• 05-17-2012 2:19 PM In reply to

The email settings are clearly a lower priority - since I first need to be able to fix the invoice issues themselves before I can email anything. Also, the invoice I tried to email (but didn't send) was created in Method, not QBO.

Then invoices I'm having the real trouble with are the ones that were made in QBO.

The biggest problem of all, which you did not address - seems to be that the Account (Accounts Receiveable) is a required field for the invoice table, but that it isn't incorporated in the Invoice table.

Sure, I can add it - but isn't it a concern that it's missing? And how are invoices made in QBO even being added to the method invoice table, if the Account field is non-existant?

Yes, there is a validation rule attached - it requires an account.

When trying to update an older invoice, I have no problem updating records (from the invoice line table), using the Update link, but that doesn't update the totals at the bottom (from the invoice table), which only get updated when saving. But I get the Account Required error when I try to save.

Please let me know if I'm not making myself clear here with what I'm trying to find out.

• 05-17-2012 4:37 PM In reply to

AutumnW:
    Yes, there is a validation rule attached - it requires an account.

This is a problem, you should not have this validation since this field is not in use for QBO.  My Method CRM QBO account does not have the ARAccount field and your stock table for Invoice shouldn't.  If you added this field, and the validation for it then you must have a reason - stock Method does not contain this field nor any validation for it.  Once you remove the validation you shouldn't get this error.  

You might want to make another copy of the QBO_Invoice screen and start from a working copy of the page.  

Your other issue with the Bill Address information being moved around did not happen through my stock Method screens.  It sounds like there's something going on with your customization on this page.

~C

• 05-17-2012 6:23 PM In reply to

Thank you - that is what I was really wanting to know & I think I figured out what the issue is. 

The customized invoice screen that I'm using was copied from a QB screen, which does require the validation. The prompt to Enter an Account is set as an action on the save button.

Before I delete this action though - can you tell me what Account invoices will default to, since it's not a field in the method tables? Although it may not be required, it must get attached to an account somewhere, in QBO and Method, no? All invoices should go to the AccountsReceiveable Account, does this happen behind the scenes? And just out of curiousity - what if I wanted to change this?

As for the BillAddress fields - All customers were originally set up in QBO. Even when I view the stock method QBO_Invoice screen and select an invoice from the grid that was made in QBO, the BillAddress fields do not align properly. I am able to re-select the customer from the dropdown and the info updates and I can even save without errors.

I didn't create the QBO invoices, so I can't say how they were made, but new method entries work fine, so no issue there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but just because I updated the Customer table records with the properly aligned BillTo fields, previous transaction records (invoice, estimate, etc) are not affected and must be updated separately?

Thank you,

A

• 05-18-2012 9:27 AM In reply to

AutumnW:
    The customized invoice screen that I'm using was copied from a QB screen

This may cause more problems than you want - our screens are built specifically for QBD or QBO.  If you coppied a screen from QBD and try to use it on QBO you're going to get unpredictable results.  Is there any reason you did this?  

AutumnW:
    can you tell me what Account invoices will default to

QBO does not use this field on invoices so it doesn't default to anything.  You can't change the way QBO stores the data - if QBO doesn't have an ARAccounts field in their table then neither do we (unless you add it).  You're correct in that all invoices default to Account Receivable.

AutumnW:
    the BillAddress fields do not align properly

The stock screens show not be mixing up fields on you - I put through a test on my own to verify and I could not see Method mixing up the fields.  If the invoices were created or modified through a stock screen (copied from QBD) then this might be your problem.

AutumnW:
    previous transaction records (invoice, estimate, etc) are not affected and must be updated separately?

Correct, you would need to update each record manually or by exporting/importing the database.  If you do this in Method then make sure you sync after you do the import so QBO is updated.

~C

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)