Method Community

Confirming gateway processing in Receive Payment screen

Last post 05-25-2012 2:21 PM by smohyee. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-23-2012 12:51 PM

Confirming gateway processing in Receive Payment screen

We use the Intuit Merchant Services payment gateway in Quickbooks to process credit card orders. I've recently set up the gateway to work with Method, and insofar as the credit card is charged successfully, the gateway works. 

However,  the default "Recieve Payment" screen diverges from the Quickbooks version once the "Process via gateway" option has been checked. In Quickbooks, a browser window pops up with the CC info preloaded, and upon processing the payment, the browser shows a printable receipt confirming that the charge was processed successfully. Afterwards, the payment receipt screen shows a message saying "Payment has been processed", and gives a link to view the printable payment reciept.

In Method, I haven't been able to find any confirmation of the payment being processed successfully, nor any indication afterwards that the payment was actually processed through a gateway (the "process payment" checkbox unchecks itself once its been run once). That last point is important because only some of our Payment Receipts are processed through the gateway (some are just entered for accounting purposes, since the payments were recieved earlier). 

Where is the data kept in Method to show whether a certain Payment Receipt was processed through a gateway or not, and that it was processed successfully? Importing the receipt from Intuit Merchant Services (as is done in QB) would also be great.

• 05-24-2012 10:52 AM In reply to

Re: Confirming gateway processing in Receive Payment screen

I haven't forgotten about you, I'm waiting on some information to see if there's any reponse code saved into Method from QBO.  

Stay tunned.

~C

• 05-24-2012 12:28 PM In reply to

Thanks for keeping me updated!

• 05-25-2012 7:59 AM In reply to

Answer

smohyee:
    Where is the data kept in Method to show whether a certain Payment Receipt was processed through a gateway or not, and that it was processed successfully?

If you have a look at the Credit Card help article you'll notice that step 20 has an option to enter a name for the action result and action result success or fail - it doesn't say what the expected result's are so I had a look at the QBO_ReceivePayment screen to find out.  On action step 46 there's a conditional statement looking for resultSuccessFail != APPROVED.  This action result doesn't appear to get stored in the table but it's used to show the conditional message.  I can see a field in the ReceivePayment table for Result Message but I don't see any results from my posted transactions.  You should try to use that Action Result message as your confirmation message.

HTH

~C

• 05-25-2012 1:57 PM In reply to

Yeah it looks like the "Result Message" field is empty for all my Quickbooks / Method payment receipts as well. I just put that field on the screen, and updated the Save button with a conditional clause to enter the result from the CC payment action into the  field.

I'm a little wary of using an existing field that is mysteriously empty. Hopefully I'm not screwing anything up by populating it.

You know what would be awesome for a case like this: an object/field summary screen that lists all the actions from the screen that involve the selected object/field. So you could look at a glance and determine whether the field is being used for anything or not. 

• 05-25-2012 2:15 PM In reply to

It may have been considered to use that field at some point but I can't find an action which saves anything to that field.

smohyee:
    Hopefully I'm not screwing anything up by populating it.

I don't think so, if any screen is going to populate that field it's the Receive Payment screen and from what I can see, it doesn't.  If you're still unsure then you can always add another field to the table for this.

smohyee:
    an object/field summary screen

I'll put the request up here and see about documentation on table/fields inside Method.  I know this would be a big undertaking but it would help with customization questions such as this.

~C

• 05-25-2012 2:21 PM In reply to

OK, I belive the "Result Message" field is actually used by QB. All payment reciepts in QB that are processed through the gateway successfully have the value "OK" in that field - I hadn't noticed it because I looked at reciepts where we didn't process through the gateway. QB only assigns "OK" when processed in QB - it stays blank when processing in Method, so I can't use that as an indication of whether a card was charged or not. 

Anyway, the solution is still a good one - just need to make a new field in the table to store/display the confirmation data. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)