Method Community

Method Portals IP Address for Subdomain

Last post 07-03-2012 6:34 AM by Method_Paul. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-02-2012 9:48 PM

Method Portals IP Address for Subdomain

Hello. I was wondering if there was an IP address you could provide me so that I could point a subdomain on my site to the Method CRM, as opposed to an iframe. I'm not really sure how all that works, but I know that another company we use has a "job board" software online that they gave me an IP address for, I created a subdomain on our server that points to it, and it appears as if its all on our site. Ideally, I'd like to have Method at http://www.crm.mywebsite.com.

• 07-03-2012 6:34 AM In reply to

Re: Method Portals IP Address for Subdomain

Answer

@alliance - you can always find out what a website's IP address is by:

1. Click the Start button in Windows.

2. Type "cmd" and hit enter. This takes in you into command prompt.

3. Type "ping www.methodintegration.com".

You'll see ours is 67.192.223.114.  This hits our load balancer, which redirects you to one of our web servers. I share this with you because it is in the public domain, so you'd have figured that out anyway with a couple Google searches.

I, however, have a few concerns.

Concern #1: I'm not aware of any of our users doing this.

Concern #2: We don't support such a setup. If you go down this road and run into issues, we'll be unable to dedicate resources to troubleshooting it.

Concern #3: I suspect you are going to trigger all kinds of security issues. Our SSL certificate is registered strictly for www.methodintegration.com. The certificate, and browsers, all will likely raise alarms that the site has been spoofed and the site will not load. You'll also trigger all kinds of security hazards on cookies and cross site references. In short, we have Method locked down and take advantage of well known best practices - all of these should prevent Method from working in your proposed scenario, and that's done for good reason.

What you really want is for us to have a subdomain to you, rather than the other way around.  I.e. what you really want is https://mywebsite.methodintegration.com. This would have to be something we setup as a general feature. We've discussed the feasibility of this in the past, but have not prioritized it, so I can't tell you whether we will do this in the future, and when that would be.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I want to save you going down a road where you'll get frustrated.

Paul

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)