Method Community

How to concatenate many values from screen

Last post 08-15-2013 8:26 AM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-29-2013 9:43 PM

How to concatenate many values from screen

I am wondering if there is a faster easier way to concatienate multiple values and 'text' and store as an actionresult.  Its taking many method actions to concatinate 5 values...i am haivng to say join 2 values then store that join and join with another action result that was a join of 2 others then join them to the last value.....I am thinking something like creating the message box....it would be cool to select from the drop down and add to the string of text.....i don't think that this is a function, maybe this is future function?In the meantime could you provide some guidance on how to use SQL to see what the text box name is via the message box tool and do something like ValueFromScreen.txt99999999 + 'with' + ValueFromScreen.txt999999998 + 'of' + ValueFromScreen.txt99999997 + ValueFromScreen.txt999999996ValueFromScreen.txt999999965

• 07-31-2013 8:01 AM In reply to

Re: How to concatenate many values from screen

Hi Chris,

I think it might help if we can get a little more background info on exactly what you are doing and trying to achieve. Are you taking this information from a few different Textboxes, a grid, table?  What is the purpose of creating a single string Action Result, is it to be entered into a table? I understand you are trying to join a bunch of fields together, and I am sure you are currently using the character function to do this, so I am not sure there is a process that would involve less steps.  However, if we understand your situation a little better, we might be able to figure out another way to achieve this.  Is it possible to get a screenshot of what the screen you are working off looks like?

- Ben

• 08-13-2013 11:03 PM In reply to

Sorry for the delay in response.  I have radio buttons on my invoice that the user can select from and the radio buttons that are selected make up a unique item code.  Mobily this makes more senses instead of having to slect from a long list or seach for the words exactly.  I have the radio buttons waterfall action as well so it is easy for the user to know what is available to select based on what the other radio buttons are selected.  At each radio button selection in write that segment of the code to its text box then concatinate 4 text boxes togeather calling action to join them all togeather.  So as the user selects it joins the 4 boxes always even if blank.  Then when all 4 radio buttons are selected the item code is populated with the string of text.  This is ons example of where i do/would use multiple concatination.  I do something simular in a grid output using SQL's + which seems much easier than the method action multiple times so i was wondering if there was a way to do this within one action based on values on the screen. per my original posted question.

Here is my code from the grid.  (CASE WHEN [AvailW1M] = 'True' THEN 'M' ELSE '' END) + (CASE WHEN [AvailW1T] = 'True' THEN 'T' ELSE '' END) + (CASE WHEN [AvailW1W] = 'True' THEN 'W' ELSE '' END) + (CASE WHEN [AvailW1H] = 'True' THEN 'H' ELSE '' END) + (CASE WHEN [AvailW1F] = 'True' THEN 'F' ELSE '' END) + (CASE WHEN [AvailW1S] = 'True' THEN 'S' ELSE '' END)

This simply gies me MTWHFS if my customer selects the check boxes next the the approprate days.

Thanks in advanced for the help.

• 08-15-2013 8:26 AM In reply to

Answer

Hi Chris,

At the moment I don't believe there would be a quicker way to setup your scenario.  Action Results have limited access to SQL keywords, you can use the "WHERE" keyword in the "TypeIn" option, however that is the only keyword you would have access to.  If there are any updates on this subject, I will make sure to update this post.

-Ben

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)