Method Community

complete over the top of my head

Last post 07-13-2012 8:32 AM by Anonymous. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-09-2012 8:03 AM

complete over the top of my head

QuickBooks returned an error when adding/modifying a accEntity record. The error was: There was an error when storing "address removed"

in the "customer name" field. QuickBooks error message: Names in this list cannot contain a colon. The colon is a special character used to indicate a

parent/child relationship.. The Request was: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252" ?> <?qbxml version="6.0" ?> <QBXML><QBXMLMsgsRq

onError="stopOnError"><CustomerAddRq requestID="qx_1"><CustomerAdd><Name>address removed</Name>

<IsActive>1</IsActive><ParentRef><ListID>800002A2-1341585592</ListID></ParentRef><CompanyName /><Salutation /><FirstName />

<MiddleName /><LastName /><BillAddress><Addr1 /><Addr2 /><Addr3 /><Addr4 /><Addr5 /><City /><State /><PostalCode /><Country />

<Note /></BillAddress><ShipAddress><Addr1 /><Addr2 /><Addr3 /><Addr4 /><Addr5 /><City /><State /><PostalCode /><Country /><Note />

</ShipAddress><Phone /><AltPhone /><Fax /><Email /><Contact /><AltContact /><ResaleNumber /><AccountNumber /></CustomerAdd>

</CustomerAddRq></QBXMLMsgsRq></QBXML>

anyone got any ideas how i fix this?

• 07-09-2012 8:13 AM In reply to

Re: complete over the top of my head

Answer

Translation: QuickBooks doesn't like the colon ":" in the name you created.

"78 COMPASS HOUSE:IMPERIAL WHARF"

Might be better as "78 COMPASS HOUSE - IMPERIAL WHARF"

Try putting in "78 COMPASS HOUSE:IMPERIAL WHARF" directly into QuickBooks, and you'll get the same attitude, but probably a much nicer message!!

Paul

• 07-09-2012 8:28 AM In reply to

we have'nt been using colons and hte address is spread over 2 fields another example is

QuickBooks returned an error when adding/modifying a accEntity record. The error was: There was an error when storing "Property:9 Chel Clois Sloane Av SW3 3DL" in the "customer name" field. QuickBooks error message: Names in this list cannot contain a colon. The colon is a special character used to indicate a parent/child relationship.. The Request was: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252" ?> <?qbxml version="6.0" ?> <QBXML><QBXMLMsgsRq onError="stopOnError"><CustomerAddRq requestID="qx_1"><CustomerAdd><Name>Property:9 Chel Clois Sloane Av SW3 3DL</Name><IsActive>1</IsActive><ParentRef><ListID>800000BF-1319631732</ListID></ParentRef><CompanyName /><Salutation /><FirstName /><MiddleName /><LastName /><BillAddress><Addr1 /><Addr2 /><Addr3 /><Addr4 /><Addr5 /><City /><State /><PostalCode /><Country /><Note /></BillAddress><ShipAddress><Addr1 /><Addr2 /><Addr3 /><Addr4 /><Addr5 /><City /><State /><PostalCode /><Country /><Note /></ShipAddress><Phone /><AltPhone /><Fax /><Email /><Contact /><AltContact /><ResaleNumber /><AccountNumber /></CustomerAdd></CustomerAddRq></QBXMLMsgsRq></QBXML>

• 07-09-2012 8:33 AM In reply to

Same deal there ""Property:9 Chel Clois Sloane Av SW3 3DL" has a colon in it.

It's just taking the raw data that exists for that customer, nothing fancy going on behind the scenes.

I bet if you look at this customer's account, you'll see the "Customer Name" in Method is ""Property:9 Chel Clois Sloane Av SW3 3DL".

Paul

• 07-09-2012 8:52 AM In reply to

Yeah your right i just spoke with the staff and the took me through the ordering system but we didn't put the colons in, basically we stick the address of the customer in on the form, and then in additional set it as a job of another.

e.g.

foxtons (an estate agent) is hte job agent (who we are doing it for)

then when we go into field services to create the work order it shows up as 

foxtons: address.

when we try to remove the colon all hell breaks loose. the box says add new etc etc

• 07-09-2012 9:33 AM In reply to

any ideas?

• 07-09-2012 11:01 AM In reply to

Answer

richard@skoosh:
    any ideas?

Yes, I think there's some confusion on the : character on the customer name.  The : character denotes a job for a customer.  So if Fred Wilson is the customer and the job is for Roofing then it would look like Fred Wilson:Roofing.  What you can't do is use a : in the customer name like Fred:Wilson - this will cause QuickBooks to reject the record and give you a conflict.

richard@skoosh:
    then when we go into field services to create the work order it shows up as 

foxtons: address.

when we try to remove the colon all hell breaks loose. the box says add new etc etc

Since the : is now part of the customer job then you don't want to remove it on the new work order screen.  If you're creating a new work order for Fred Wilson:Roofing then don't remove the : in the Customer field as it will cause a problem.

~C

• 07-10-2012 3:03 AM In reply to

problem is we are not putting in the colon. you see the customer is foxtons address for our invoice as we bill differnt foxtons

and the job is also an address (where the work is to be carried out)

method is automatically putting that colon in and when it syncs with QB's the Billing address and Job address don't get populated.

• 07-10-2012 10:11 AM In reply to

richard@skoosh:
    method is automatically putting that colon in and when it syncs with QB's the Billing address and Job address don't get populated.

I'm not sure I completely understand what's happening.  Are you able to take a few screenshots of your Add / Edit Work order screen right after you select a customer from the drop down.  I would like to see what data you're trying to enter and what the record looks like.  If you need a place to host your images online, imgur.com offers free hosting.

~C

• 07-12-2012 7:53 AM In reply to

getting screenshots has been a bit difficult because of data protection basically ill try explaining it a little better.

when we create a job it is a sub customer.

or main customer in this case is testcustomer

so in customers form we put 

Full Name
    Contact
    Customer Name*
    Phone
    Company Name
    Fax
    Mr./Ms./...
    Alt Contact
    First Name
    M.I.
    Alt Phone
    Last Name

boxes for address etc are here i just havent put them in

Customer name is filled with the job name.

in additional information we have, job of customer filled in with testcustomer

Type
    Job of Customer
    Terms
    Campaign
    Rep
    Price Level

Is Lead Status Only

Customer Is Active

Where are my custom fields?

When i create the work order it comes out with testcustomer:test

Customer*

Ref Number
     Activity No.
    Job Name*
                 Status*

and as you can imagine qb goes mental at hte colon. its the same with invoices. and with our items and sub items Method automatically puts the colon in. and when it goes into QB nothing gets populated.

• 07-13-2012 8:32 AM In reply to

richard@skoosh:
    When i create the work order it comes out with testcustomer:test

This is correct, if you're entering a Work Order for a customer:job this is the way it should look.

wo

When I create an invoice and sync this to QB it appears fine:

And here is the edit customer window on this customer:job in QB:

QB is fine with the colon as long as the colon is NOT part of the customer name field.  This might be where your error is coming from.  The colon denotes a job and is a reserved character so it cannot be used in a customer name.

Here's my customer list inside QB:

~C

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)