Method Community

Converting a sales order screen to mobile

Last post 07-16-2012 1:06 PM by Anonymous. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-10-2012 9:06 AM

Converting a sales order screen to mobile

I have a sales order (invoice) screen that has the item list in a grid. There are also a few actions and hidden fields associated with this screen.

I notice that the "stock" Mobile_Invoice screen has an "Items" section instead of a grid. This appears to be the cleanst and fastest setup.

I have tried to use the "Optimize this screen for mobile" option on my custom sales order screen, however the items grid presents a problem. Yes, I note in the mobile training webinar that there's an issue with "double refreshing", but I don't think this is the case - the grid just doesn't open.

Anyway, my question is this: in order to have sales order capability in a mobile environment, is it best for me to customize a copy of the stock Mobile_Invoice screen? Or is it better to try to make the "optimize for mobile" option work. I'm leaning towards customizing the stock screen, but I don't want to spend a lot of time doing so if optimizing for mobile will work easily.

Please advise.

Thanks

• 07-10-2012 3:15 PM In reply to

Re: Converting a sales order screen to mobile

Answer

MikeB:
    is it best for me to customize a copy of the stock Mobile_Invoice screen? Or is it better to try to make the "optimize for mobile" option work.

Since your screen is already built I would recommend trying the optimize for mobile option and testing the screen to see how it looks and loads.  Our stock mobile screen was split into sections to make the loading faster so you could mimic this behaviour if you feel your mobile screen is a little slow.  I would test the first option since it won't take much time and then see if you need to refine the screen from there.

MikeB:
    but I don't think this is the case - the grid just doesn't open.

Try putting the grid into a section and see if it loads that way.

~C

• 07-10-2012 3:43 PM In reply to

Thanks. Grids don't seem to be loading in the mobile environment. I'm logging in on my desktop and using the Mobile tab group. When I create an invoice on the stock Mobile_Invoice screen, it's great - really fast, until I reach the "Amt" section, which contains a grid. Even with only 1 item in the sales order, the grid doesn't load - even after leaving it for a few minutes. Again, this is using the "stock" Mobile_Invoice screen, which I haven't modified at all.

Any insight into why grids won't load? I also tested putting my custom line items grid into a section, but that didn't load either. I figure testing the unmidified, "stock" screen first would help with the grid loading issue.

• 07-10-2012 4:00 PM In reply to

MikeB:
    Any insight into why grids won't load?

What is your mobile platform you're testing on?  Please let me know the device and browser version.

~C

• 07-11-2012 6:35 AM In reply to

Actually, I'm just viewing the mobile screen on my laptop while I'm logged into the regular version. Or when I log in on my laptop into the mobile version. Either way, the grids don't load.

• 07-11-2012 8:22 AM In reply to

MikeB:
    Either way, the grids don't load.

Can you let me know which browser you're using while testing?

~C

• 07-11-2012 8:56 AM In reply to

IE 9 and Firefox.

Strangley, the grids now load if I:

• Create a new invoice in the "Stock" Method Mobile Invoice screen
    • Add items and view the grid on the "Amount" tab.
    • Edit the item in the custom mobile screen. The grids load here as well

I think it had something to do with an empty grid and trying to create an invoice with 2 separate mobile screens. Anyway, it appears to work now. And (even more strangely) now in IE9, if I select "Add/Edit" Invoice button it works. I can't really explain why...

There does appear to be a FireFox glitch, though (I don't use Firefox normally but...). When I select a customer in my custom invoice I get a message:

The Customer<span style='color:red' class='pspan'>*</span> DropDown containing Customer&Name:Main&nbsp;account, is not a selectable value.

Additional Information

Action Sequence Order:30

I subbed in "Customer Name", but I guess you get the picture. Away, my custom mobile screen is unfinished and the responsibility to clean this up is probably ine, but it's interesting how this arises in Firefox only.

Thanks.

• 07-16-2012 1:06 PM In reply to

Answer

MikeB:
    but it's interesting how this arises in Firefox only.

Just as a heads up, FireFox is not currently supported on our mobile version of Method - this may help in your testing.

~C

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)