Method Community

Multiple ship to addresses?

Last post 07-25-2012 9:33 AM by viret56. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-21-2012 8:56 AM

• viret56
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-10-2012
    • Virginia
    • Posts 79

Multiple ship to addresses?

QuickBooks allows multiple 'ship to' addresses to be created for a customer.  However, I cannot find in Method the ability to add or edit multiple 'ship to' addresses.  I also do not see a Method table where this data would be stored.  Does Method provide this capability?  Where do I find it?

If necessary, I could add a new table, then add the functionality I desire.  Of course, I do not want to reinvent the wheel, so let me know if I am 'missing it'.

Thanks.

• 01-23-2012 11:53 AM In reply to

Re: Multiple ship to addresses?

Answer

Hi viret56,

A few years ago, QuickBooks developed the ability to add multiple ship to address for their customers.The QuickBooks SDK though, doesn`t allow any developer the ability to transfer over multiple ship to addresses for the customers and that is the reason you don`t see that functionality in Method. 

The only way around it, is by customizing the screen where you can add multiple ship to addresses for the customer table, but because of the SDK limitation, that information won`t be transferred to QuickBooks. 

I hope that helps.

Ronen

• 07-07-2012 3:22 PM In reply to

How would I exactly go about customizing the screen to  have multiple ship to's per mentioned above? I just need a rough idea and I am sure I would get there. I have some customers with several hundred ship to's so doing through method would be best for my sales staff.

To be perfectly honest it would matter most in the Sales Orders Screen.

Anyone thoughts would be appriciated. I would Imagine I would have to update coresponding Sales Order Report as well to be sure the selected Ship to Prints out?

Thanks,

RH
  • 07-09-2012 11:25 AM In reply to

Answer

rhelmer:
    How would I exactly go about customizing the screen to  have multiple ship to's per mentioned above?

Could you create a different job for your customers?  Each job has a separate ship-to address so you may be able to get around this limitation by creating jobs.  If this doesn't work for you then I suggest customizing to create a table that contains your ship-to information plus your recordID of the parent customer.  Customizing would require changing some of our stock screens so that you can select the ship-to address but it would be possible.

If you require any help planning or building this customization we have consultants on staff available.

~C

• 07-09-2012 1:57 PM In reply to

• viret56
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-10-2012
    • Virginia
    • Posts 79

That is the approach I took.  I created a table for shipping addresses with a customized screen to allow adding, deleting, and updating of shipping addresses.  The shipping addresses are linked to a specific customer through an ID field.  Then, wherever I want to use multiple shipping addresses, I replaced the editable shipping address fields with read only fields and a pulldown menu.  My implementation also included the ability to set a default shipping address for the customer (the address that fills the shipping address fields in the customer record).

Those are some of the details off the top of my head.  I hope this helps.

• 07-09-2012 2:13 PM In reply to

viret56:
    wherever I want to use multiple shipping addresses, I replaced the editable shipping address fields with read only fields and a pulldown menu.  My implementation also included the ability to set a default shipping address for the customer (the address that fills the shipping address fields in the customer record).

^ These are some great customization tips if you decide to build this on your own.

~C

• 07-25-2012 9:33 AM In reply to

• viret56
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-10-2012
    • Virginia
    • Posts 79

rhelmer:

How would I exactly go about customizing the screen to  have multiple ship to's per mentioned above? I just need a rough idea and I am sure I would get there. I have some customers with several hundred ship to's so doing through method would be best for my sales staff.

To be perfectly honest it would matter most in the Sales Orders Screen.

Anyone thoughts would be appriciated. I would Imagine I would have to update coresponding Sales Order Report as well to be sure the selected Ship to Prints out?

Thanks,

rhelmer,

I created a single table to hold the multiple ship to address.  I name it 'CustomerShipAddress'.  It has the following fields:

Field Name                            Field Type   Size            Required?           Unique?              Linked Via

Client                                        Text                                                                 

CompanyName                    Text                                                                 

Description                             Text                                                                 

isDefaultAddress                 YesNo                                                                            

ShipAddressAddr1              Text                                                                 

ShipAddressAddr2              Text                                                                 

ShipAddressAddr3              Text                                                                 

ShipAddressAddr4              Text                                                                 

ShipAddressAddr5              Text                                                                 

ShipAddressCity                   Text                                                                 

ShipAddressCountry          Text                                                                 

ShipAddressNote                Text                                                                 

ShipAddressPostalCode    Text                                                                 

ShipAddressState                Text                                                                 

I created a screen to manage the shipping addresses for a particular customer.  I use it in a popup window.

I hope this helps you get started.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)