Method Community

Customization Suggestion

Last post 09-16-2009 8:16 AM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-11-2009 4:36 PM

• Joe
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Posts 97

Customization Suggestion

Hi.

I would like to make a suggestion to the list of events a screen can respond to.

Currently Available:

-OnScreenLoad: Runs actions when screen is loaded.

-OnClosePopUp: Runs actions when the child (pop up) of this screen is closed.

My suggestion:

-OnScreenClose: Runs actions for the active screen after recieving the close message, but before any closing takes place. This will allow "clean up" operations such as clearing out variables/results/fields that were set in events such as "OnScreenLoad" or "Button_Click".

Please let me know if this is possible.

Thanks,

~Joe

<ps> Woot! Top 10 Contributor.

• 09-15-2009 9:11 AM In reply to

Re: Customization Suggestion

Hey Joe,

The commands you would place on "onscreenclose" you can put into the "onclosepopup" and they will clear the results you're trying to clear.

Are you having a problem doing something with this action?

If you let us know what it is you're trying to do, we may be able to help you get going in the right direction.

• 09-15-2009 10:36 AM In reply to

• Joe
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Posts 97

Hey Ryan.

From what i understand, "OnPopUpClose" is more of a notification to the parent screen that its child screen is now closed.

Actions used during "OnPopUpClose" only have access to fields from the parent screen, which gave me a limitation i wasn't sure how to work with. OnScreenClose would have been running actions with access to the current active screen just before closing it, irregardless of whether that screen was a parent, child, or lone screen.

At this point, i believe i have found a work-around to accomplish what i was trying to do. It'll just be a little less clean-cut.

----------

One of the other reasons i push this particular Event is due to the ability to guard the user from silly mistakes such as accidently closing the screen and losing settings or data. I'd like to be able to employ, on a screen, the same warning system we see in every-day applications -- [ You have chosen to close without saving your data, are you sure? (Y / N) ].

Or [Your settings from this session are about to be saved, is that okay? (Y / N)] .. etc etc. Method's customization is in essence a watered down version of a windows application with controlled limitations.The more control we have on how a screen functions with our users, the safer and more efficient it will be to use.

Let me know your thoughts,

Thanks,

~Joe

• 09-16-2009 8:16 AM In reply to

Hey Joe,

I wanted to let you know that this is something you will see in the future.

Keep an eye on the blogs for information about upcoming updates.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)