Method Community

Contacts for New Activity/Calendar

Last post 10-12-2012 10:57 AM by Method_Michael. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-11-2012 9:34 AM

Contacts for New Activity/Calendar

?I have an employee who wants to log certain activities in the calendar that are associated with her own activity, as opposed to linking activity to a specific Contact.

So, when I log in as an administrator and I create a new activity,in the contact drop-down I type in her name. It appears that the 3 fields searched in the Contacts table are:

• Entity
    • Company Name
    • Entity Type
    There appears to be this possibility to select as a contact:
    • Entity = her name
    • Company Name - blank
    • Entity Type = employee
    However, when she logs in, she is not able to see the employee type entry - it appears to be restricted from her view. Is there a way to fix this?
    The only other option I see is to create a new customer with her name as the entity AND the company name and use that instead.

Please advise.
  • 10-11-2012 4:29 PM In reply to

Re: Contacts for New Activity/Calendar

Answer

MikeB:
    it appears to be restricted from her view. Is there a way to fix this?

She probably doesn't have permission - click Customize > Users and click edit beside her username.  Click next several times to step 6 and you'll want to adjust the access to shared records - I believe she probably has no access right now.  

~C

• 10-11-2012 4:36 PM In reply to

Actually, she has some sharing permission, but I'm not sure that is the issue.

She can't see her own employee entry in the contact list. Maybe it's a Role issue?

• 10-11-2012 5:13 PM In reply to

More details:

When I ook at the "Contact" field on the new activity screen, I see the following filter is applied:

"SalesRepRecordID is one of in value from session SharedListSalesRep"

To refresh - the 3 fields shown in this dropdown are:

• Name via ContactsName
    • CompanyName
    • EntityType

As an admin, I can log activities for her own entry as an empployee. In this case, the Name via ContactsName is her name, the CompanyName field is blank, and the EntityType is Employee.

She cannot see her own employee entry in the dropdown list, and I have no idea how to enable that. A possible (less desirable) solution would be to create her as a New Customer, but I'd like to know why she can't see that EntityType in the list.

• 10-12-2012 8:53 AM In reply to

Hi Mike-

I was able to duplicate the issue you have described.

This issue is related to how shared records work, if Share All Records is unchecked then it applys filters based on sales rep and since Employees do not have sales reps assigned to them its the reason why you can't see them in the drop down.

One thing that can be done to get around this is in step 6 of 10 when editing the user, check the box for Empty Records , this will allow the user to see any record that does not have a sales rep assigned which would show employees. The drawback to this is that they may see other records that they shouldn't see.

You don't have to select a Contact when creating an activity so she could just create and activity with the Assigned To to be herself and leave Contact blank.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
  • 10-12-2012 9:19 AM In reply to

Actually, this particur rep has a Sales Rep Type of "Employee" (I'm not sure why - I didn't set it up). All other sales reps have an employee type of "Other Name"

Is this a problem?

• 10-12-2012 10:57 AM In reply to

Mike-

The issue is not the Entity Type, but the fact that you can't assign a Sales Rep to an employee the way you assign a Sales Rep to a customer.

Employees, Customer sand Vendors are all stored in the Entity table (The Customer, Employee and Vendor tables are views or subsets of the Entity table) and if you take a look at the Entity table there a SalesRep field which is used for customers but not employees, this sales rep field is what drives the filters.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)