Method Community

Email template From field

Last post 10-19-2012 3:53 PM by Anonymous. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-10-2012 1:46 PM

Email template From field

I have a new custom email template, and I've set up a default From field on it.

When I send an email from a "New Activity" and select the email template,

it does not carry over the From field I had set on the default of the template,

and I have to retype it each time. Is there is way to populate the From field

from the template?

Thanks.

• 10-10-2012 2:44 PM In reply to

Re: Email template From field

Answer

jpfiester:
    and I've set up a default From field on it.

Where did you make this change?  From Home > Email Templates I clicked select on CRM_ActivityAssignerToUser and changed the from field to the email I want all activities to come from.  Don't forget to click save here.  All new activities I create are coming from this email address regardless of who the activity is assigned to.  There could be a few things happening here:

1. You didn't change the correct template - default for Activities is CRM_ActivityAssignerToUser
    2. You didn't save the template changes
    3. You are using a different template from the default and adjusted the wrong template.

First look at your template CRM_ActivityAssignerToUser and make sure you change the From (optional) to the email you want to send from.  Click save.  Next open Activities > New Activity and click the More actions... > Choose email template... button.  Under Activity Notification you should either see nothing (meaning you're using the default) or you'll see the template you're using.  I suspect your template is different from the default and you might have changed the wrong template.  Have a look and post back up.

Email template screen:

Choose email template screen:

~C 

• 10-11-2012 11:14 AM In reply to

Hi Chad,

I created a new template by creating a duplicate of an existing Method template and then

redoing all of teh body text. I don't think I started with the CRM_ActivityAssignedToUser.

Everything else is working as expected.

In the template, I have put in an email address for the From (default) field.

When I go to Activities--New Activity and select my email template, the From field is set to

the default user email address set up in the user properties.

Thanks,

January

• 10-11-2012 4:48 PM In reply to

jpfiester:
    Everything else is working as expected.

Good to hear - let me know if you have any other questions around this.

~C

• 10-13-2012 10:29 AM In reply to

Hi Chad,

Perhaps my last post was misleading. The From field is still not populating with the default that I set on the Template.

For example in the template, the From field is set to "notifications@mydomain.com".

In an Activity when I select the template to send email, the From field is set to "user@mydomain.com",

not the "notifications@mydomain.com" as set up in the saved template.

Any help?

Thanks,

January

• 10-15-2012 3:14 PM In reply to

jpfiester:
    Any help?

Hi January,

Let me check a few things from you...

From the Home tab click Email Templates then click select on CRM_ActivityAssignedToUser.  Type in the From email you'd like this to come from - notifications@mydomain.com then click save.  Next click select on any other template to load it, then click select again on CRM_ActivityAssignedToUser.  Is your From email correct here?  I want to see if your template is saving the email correctly.

Next click Acitivities > New Activities then click More Actions... > Choose email template... button.  Look for Activity Notification and select the template CRM_ActivityAssignedToUser then click Save & Close.

Now create a new activity and add me as a contact - c.ridgway@methodintegration.com.  Make sure your new activity has the Email Activity notification checkbox enabled and please send me an activity update.

If you're using the right template then changing that from email should affect any activity using that template.

~C

• 10-19-2012 2:41 PM In reply to

Hi Chad,

Thanks. I actually had my consulting session the other day and we got it figured out.

Turns out the user's email was overriding the template's From field when the template is selected.

We had to add some actions to bring in the From field from the template, actually.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

January

• 10-19-2012 3:53 PM In reply to

jpfiester:
    I appreciate your help.

Thanks for posting back - glad this was corrected for you!

~C

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)