Method Community

Creating item groups

Last post 03-19-2013 8:17 AM by Method_Adam. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-18-2013 7:22 AM

• andy
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-10-2012
    • Liverpool, UK
    • Posts 139

Creating item groups

I'm trying to automate the creation of an item group when creating a single inventory item.

The user inputs the item details and then from a grid selects related items. At the push of a button the group is created dependant upon the grid selection with the name of the group being a character function of the grid selection. This part works fine.

Howver when creating the item group list I am not able to insert the 'ItemGroupOrAssembly_RecordID' which will link the list items to the group.It does not appear in the dropdown. At the moment I am only inserting the following:

'ItemGroupOrAssembly'same as 'ItemGroup.Name'

'ItemInventory'individual item name from grid

'Item' - individual item name from grid

'Quantity' - always 1

Not sure if I'm missing something. As it stands I get an error trying to insert the record...

"Error The value '<name>' was not a valid dropdown list for 'ItemGroupOrAssemblyRefID'. The only way I can insert the record is to use the group record ID from my previous step and use this to insert into the 'ItemGroupOrAssembly' field. This actually populates the 'ItemGroupOrAssembly_RecordID' field and autocreates the 'ItemGroupOrAssembly' in the following format... 

<ItemGroupOrAssemblyList.Item>:<ItemGroup.Name>

Hope this all makes sense.

Andrew Cliff
    Systems Manager
    CS Consult
  • 03-18-2013 3:09 PM In reply to

Re: Creating item groups

Answer

Hi Andy,

You should never try to insert a value into any field with _RecordID.  These fields are read only and are for displaying the recordID of the dropdown list being referenced.  

As for creating the record in the ItemGroupOrAssembly table, you can use the action result for the insert into the ItemGroup table, as the value for the ItemGroupOrAssembly field.  When inserting a record into a table, the action result for that insert is the recordID for the inserted record.  

Hope this helps.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 03-19-2013 7:44 AM In reply to

• andy
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-10-2012
    • Liverpool, UK
    • Posts 139

Thanks for the reply.

Think I was getting mixed up with items, groups and inventory items. Managed to decypher the interaction and it seems simple now.

Andrew Cliff
    Systems Manager
    CS Consult
  • 03-19-2013 8:17 AM In reply to

Andy,

Good to hear.  We're here if needed.  :)

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)