Method Community

Estimate Creator

Last post 11-09-2009 3:46 PM by jdaniello. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-08-2009 3:04 PM

Estimate Creator

Good Afternoon:

The drop down item list in the default estimate creator shows all items both active and inactive. Is there a way to only display active items in the drop down list?

Thank you for your help - Jacob

• 11-09-2009 7:51 AM In reply to

• Joe
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Posts 97

Re: Estimate Creator

Hello =).

Adding a filter to a dropdown in the estimate list:

Go to screen: "Customize"->"Screens"

Scroll down to the bottom and click copy/import screen. Make a copy of of the estimate screen on your account. After it is created, go to the new screen and click [Edit].

Find the dropdown in the screen editor that you want to fix and hit [Edit]. (I clicked edit on the dropdown field named "Customer").

Skipping to step5 of the Field editor that popped up by pressing next we get to the filter options.

I selected "IsActive" from the dropdown list. Then clicked the "Insert Filter" button. (we are now inserting a filter whose criteria will be matched against the "IsActive" field for all customers).

The pop up after clicking the "Insert Filter" button should show the "IsActive" field in the first dropdown already selected. I then selected "Equals Yes" from the second dropdown.

Finally Save & Close out of each screen. --

Be sure to click [Publish] when you're changes are done so method will make the changes to the viewed version of the screen and not just the editor version.

We have now added a filter to this dropdown to only show Customers whose "IsActive" status is equal to yes. In other words, only display customers that are active.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last thing you will need to do is go to "Customize"->"Tabs" and set the "Customer Center" and any other tab that you have the estimate list on, to have a tab link to your new estimate list. Otherwise clicking "Estimate" (the current tablink in the customer center) will keep taking you to the old screen instead of the new one.

~Joe

• 11-09-2009 8:26 AM In reply to

Users teaching users…it’s a beautiful thing. Smile

Thanks Joe

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 11-09-2009 8:43 AM In reply to

Joe - Thank you for your help. I followed the instructions and they make good sense. I would appreciate a little bit more direction.

I am trying to filter on Active Items.

I clicked edit on the Estimate Line Grid, then clicked Next to get to step 3. Here I left the view name default and selected Item from the drop down list.

Then I selected insert new filter. IsActive is not an option for this filter. I can choose, Contains, Does Not Contain, Equal to, Is Not Equal to, starts with, ends with, is empty, is not empty, build selection list.

Am I on the right track?

Thank you for your help - Jacob

• 11-09-2009 9:00 AM In reply to

• Joe
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Posts 97

Hey.

If im reading this right, you are wanting to filter the "Item" dropdown-field that is within the EstimateLine grid, such that when you add a new line to the grid, the dropdown excludes inactive items from the list?

Just letting you know what i'm assuming, and thus basing my answer off of.

~Joe

• 11-09-2009 9:19 AM In reply to

Joe - This is correct. For example, I set up a dummy Item "Cessna" and then made it inactive. The item Cessna is still showing up in the drop down list.

As a result, the item drop down list is very cluttered and confusing.

Jacob

• 11-09-2009 9:45 AM In reply to

• Joe
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Posts 97

Alright.

It doesn't look like method gave the EstimateLine table (that our grid is based off of) any connection to the Item list other than the list of names. So that makes it a little trickier, since we have to physically create that relationship.

Note: This is the route that i took to try to hide the inactive items from the dropdown in the EstimateLine Grid, and (if possible) i'd like input from the method staff on this thread to confirm whether or not this is a proper way to go about this.

Ok Step 1: Creating the relationship

Go to "Customize" -> "Tables/Fields".

Select [Edit Fields...] next to the EstimateLine table.

At the top of the popup switch the radio button selection from Add New Field - TO - Add Linked Field.

Fill the dropdowns as follows-> "Link Using: ItemRef // LinkedField: IsActive // Display As: IsActive".

(We have now created the required relationship between the 2 tables)

-- i'll send step 2: Filtering Grid-Embedded Dropdown, in another post.

~Joe

• 11-09-2009 9:51 AM In reply to

• Joe
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Posts 97

Step 2: Filtering Grid-Embedded Dropdown

Return to the screen editor for the EstimateLine and click [edit] on ur grid again. This was the right place to be, but now we will have access to what we need.

On step 2 of the grid editor (Grid Columns), select "Advanced" next to the field "Item" (this is your dropdown of items).

Now when you choose a field from the dropdown you should see "IsActive". Select that field.

You should now be able to set the  filter to be "Equals Yes".

As normal, save and close all popups and publish your edited screen to transfer changed to the viewable version of the screen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this worked for ya. It seems to on my end.

~Joe

• 11-09-2009 10:03 AM In reply to

Hey Guys,

The relationship already exists, skip step 1 and just follow joes "Step 2" post.

Thanks Joe!

• 11-09-2009 10:16 AM In reply to

• Joe
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Posts 97

My bad.

Ryan is right, i removed the parts i did in step one and the "IsActive" still shows up in the advanced dropdown.

I must have overlooked the field in the list. On the bright side this cuts the work in half hehe =).

Thx for pointing this out Smile

~Joe

• 11-09-2009 3:46 PM In reply to

This worked! Thank you everybody for your help!

Jacob

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)