Method Community

Pop-up Screen Data Transfer

Last post 03-28-2013 10:18 AM by Method_Adam. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-26-2013 12:11 PM

Pop-up Screen Data Transfer

I am hoping to get some assistance with transferring data between screens. I created a new table and screen to store ship to addresses. I then  created a new lookup list screen to pop up from the sales order so that the user could click a button in the ship to address field and use a pop-up screen to select the proper ship to address for the customer.

When the pop-up screen address is selected from the grid, using the select link, I want to return the address field back to the sales order.

I tried using the shared result method of storing the address information when the select link is clicked(before the pop-up screen is closed). When the pop-up screen closes, the sales order  updates the ship to addresses in the sales order from the shared results data of the pop-up screen. The problem is that when the ship to fields update from the share results the ship to fields are blank.

I have tried mulitple combinations of using action results and shared results with not luck and I don't know what I am doing wrong. I can not "trace" the variable values to see where I am dropping the information. It would help if someone could explain how to transfer the data from the pop-up screen back to the sales order using share results in some form of detail. Thanks in advance for your help.

• 03-27-2013 10:11 AM In reply to

Re: Pop-up Screen Data Transfer

Answer

Hi,

To transfer data from a popup to a main screen, you should save the Value from session > "screen active recordID" into a shared result.  This recordID will allow you to access the record brought up in the popup.  You can then use the retrieve value from table action to get the information from the table using the recordID in the shared result.  This action will locate the record and value you wish to use and place it on the main screen.

You can check out our Help Center articles on Assign Value to Shared Results and Get Value from Shared Result for more information on this.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 03-27-2013 11:26 AM In reply to

Thanks Adam. when you wrote "you should save the Value from session > "screen active recordID" into a shared result", were you referring to Value from Session > Current - Screen Active RecordID?

• 03-27-2013 11:38 AM In reply to

Answer

Yes, that's the one.  :)

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 03-27-2013 12:18 PM In reply to

I used that field. When I open the pop-up screen and click the "Select" link and close the pop-up screen, the record id I selected was 1 the record ID returned to the Sales Order Screen as 1262. 

• 03-27-2013 12:33 PM In reply to

Just to be clear, where are you placing the action to set the shared result?  This should be done on the select link in the popup.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 03-27-2013 12:45 PM In reply to

The action is set on the "Select" link click action on the pop-up screen.

• 03-27-2013 1:02 PM In reply to

That is correct. That is where it is being set.

• 03-27-2013 1:03 PM In reply to

The value from the value from Value from session > "screen active recordID" is not the RecordID from the row.

• 03-27-2013 1:42 PM In reply to

Ok I found the correct field. It isn't Value from Session > Current - Screen Active RecordID it is Value from Screen > RecordID.

Now I have progressed the second issue with the process.

I opened the pop-up screen from a button in the ship to address1 field. In the button in the ship to address1 field, after openning the pop-up screen, I added an action to retrieve the Shared Value being set in the pop-up screen and look up the record in the ship to address table.

It doesn't appear that the actions are stopping to wait for the pop-up screen to close to return the Shared Value back to tha Sales Order. How do I return the shared value from the pop up back to the sales order and start the process of retrieving the data from tha table after the pop-up is closed?

• 03-27-2013 2:49 PM In reply to

That should work too.  

I'm a little confused about this whole setup.  From what I understand, you have the sales order screen where another screen will popup and allow you to select a ship to address and have that added to your Sales order screen.  You also created a new table and screen to store these addresses.  Am I correct with this?  If so, why are you not calling the screen with the ship to addresses directly?  The screen that is automatically generated when you create a new table.  This screen should contain a grid to see and select existing records and fields to input new ones.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you created an additional screen to store the addresses.  This doesn't seem like its needed.

d.vanbaale:
    In the button in the ship to address1 field, after openning the pop-up screen, I added an action to retrieve the Shared Value being set in the pop-up screen

Did you add the action on the main screen to grab a value from the popup?  The shared result should be set with an action in the popup screen, not in an action on the main screen.

As for the shared value, you'll have to set an action result to store the shared value when back on your main screen.  For instance, you go to your popup screen, select a record and store a value in a shared result.  When on the screen where you wish to use the shared result, you have to use the action "Get value from Shared Result" to retrieve the value. and store it in an action result.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 03-27-2013 2:57 PM In reply to

I created a simpler screen with a just a grid. I can use the original screen from that was created with the table. Wouldn't the grid and select button still work the same?

• 03-27-2013 3:14 PM In reply to

Answer

Yes, it should. I tested this out myself using the Value from Session > Current - Screen Active RecordID and it worked as I thought.  This was why I was confused as to the additional screen and thought that maybe the select link for that screen was missing something.  Either way, as long as you are getting the right value (recordID) from the popup.  That's what's important.

Now all you have to do is use that recordID to get the values from the table onto your main screen.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 03-27-2013 3:29 PM In reply to

I can get the correct reocrd id into a shared value. The issue now is that when the pop up screen closes, the shared I need to get the data from the Ship To table in the Sales Order screen. How do I pass control back to the Sales Order screen from the pop-up screen to use the shared result and get the data to popluate the fields. When the pop-up screecloses, the process in the origial button has already run and the shared result is not used.

• 03-27-2013 4:19 PM In reply to

Answer

What I would do is click the advance button for the main screen.  In the action set for "onClosePopUp", first use the "Get value from shared Result" to set a local action result to the value of the shared result.  Then use the "Retrieve value from table" to get the value of the fields you need (using the local action result) and enter them into the fields on the main screen.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >