Method Community

Click field in grid to make editable - save field on lose focus

Last post 07-08-2013 9:16 AM by furrywombat. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-03-2013 8:47 PM

Click field in grid to make editable - save field on lose focus

I have a custom grid setup for open purchase order lines, and we've hired someone to maintain up-to-date status on all items that we have on order. The grid displays the standard stuff... item #, purchase order #, qty ordered, qty received, et al. I have added a new field in the PurchaseOrderLine table called ItemStatusNotes, and have added this column to the grid.

What I would like to do is to click on the field in the grid, and when clicked, convert the field to editable text input, which, upon losing focus, will update the corresponding value for the row in question with the updated item status notes. If the data entry cannot be saved on losing focus, alternatively, an "UPDATE FIELD" link at the end of the grid row would be my second choice for saving the data.

Alternatively, if this is not possible, what I would like to do is add a text input box below the grid with a SAVE button next to it. Then, to update an item's status the user would check the box on the far left, enter the updated item status in the text input box below, click save, then update the ItemStatusNotes field with the text from the input box for all items that have been checked, and to refresh the grid so that the updated field value populates in the grid.

I've been screwing around with the settings for the last hour, and cannot for the life of me figure out how either of these things can be done. How can this be accomplished?

• 07-04-2013 3:43 PM In reply to

Re: Click field in grid to make editable - save field on lose focus

Answer

Hello Furrywombat,

There are a couple of different ways that you can go about doing this, however before getting into too much detail, it would help to get a better understanding of what are trying to achieve.  If you are looking to simply edit the fields from the Screen’s Grid and have it update only on the Method side, then you can simply make the grid editable, so any updates made to your custom “ItemStatusNotes” field will get updated to Method after you click the “Update” button.  I have provided a quick explanation below on how to make the grid editable if you haven’t already done so. 

• 07-05-2013 10:37 AM In reply to

Can't believe I missed that! Well, I changed the setting, but no 'Edit' link or button is showing up anywhere.

• 07-05-2013 11:00 AM In reply to

Answer

furrywombat:

Can't believe I missed that! Well, I changed the setting, but no 'Edit' link or button is showing up anywhere.

Hi furrywombat,

You are actually correct, the "Edit..." link suggested from step5of9 won't show up in the grid.  All you have to do is edit the the field in the grid, and when done, click the "update" link at the bottom right of the grid to have the row updated.  

Take Care,

-Ben

• 07-05-2013 11:26 AM In reply to

Hi Ben,

Looks like we're almost there... one issue I'm having now, the only fields that appear to be editable are QTY ORD / QTY REC'D... two fields I do not wish to be editable. The one field that I want the users to be able to edit, the added field ItemStatusNotes, is throwing an error when clicked:

Action Sequence:1

Unable to locate value from row for column ItemStatusNotes

Please contact your developer.

Any ideas?

• 07-05-2013 2:22 PM In reply to

Answer

furrywombat:

Hi Ben,

Looks like we're almost there... one issue I'm having now, the only fields that appear to be editable are QTY ORD / QTY REC'D... two fields I do not wish to be editable. The one field that I want the users to be able to edit, the added field ItemStatusNotes, is throwing an error when clicked:

Action Sequence:1

Unable to locate value from row for column ItemStatusNotes

Please contact your developer.

Any ideas?

Hi Furrywombat,

It might help to get a little more info from you. Does this happen after editing the "ItemStatusNotes" field from the grid?  "Action Sequence: 1" tells me that it threw an error when attempted to perform the 1st action within an Action Set.  If you go to Customize the Screen, and Edit the Grid you are working in, go to step2of9 and select the "Actions" link on the ItemStatusNotes row.  If you scroll through the different Dropdown options under "Event", you should find the Action causing the error, maybe it wasn't deleted from your earlier troubleshooting? 

In regards to not allowing certain fields in your grid to be edited, you can click the "Advanced" link beside each field, and check off the "Make Read Only" toggle, should look similar to the screenshot below

• 07-08-2013 9:16 AM In reply to

I deleted the field from the screen and recreated it. Looks like I had some actions applied to it previously that were messing with the results. Looks like everything is working perfectly now! Thanks a million.

Charles

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)