Method Community

How to add fields to "Toolbox" to customize a screen

Last post 08-07-2013 10:13 AM by eskinpa. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-06-2013 10:17 AM

How to add fields to "Toolbox" to customize a screen

Pulling my remaining hair out here on what I hope is a relatively straightforward problem.  *Someone* has done this before, no doubt...

We have a number of old paper files with customer orders from once upon a time, and we'd like to go back and re-contact those customers.  These customers may or may not already appear in our Method database of existing customers, but in any event we're OK with making each a new lead.

I want to customize the "CRM-New Lead(2)" screen (I've customized it previously, hence the "2.")  I want to be able to add a couple fields to the screen from a table "History" that I made.  The History table has only two fields... EquipmentPreviouslyPurchased and EquipmentPreviouslyPurchasedWhen  to show what a customer purchased in the past and the year they purchhased it.  Until those fields are in the "Toolbox" I can't slide them into the screen during customization.

Guessing that the solution is somehow related to linking fields using the customer name, but I just can't figure it out.  Or if there's an easier way to add these fields into the toolbox without linking through another table, that would be fine too.  Or an easier way still that I haven't thought of. 

I'm not proud, I just want to make the problem go away.  If you've got a better way to tackle this problem, please, go for it!

Any help most appreciated.

Ed

Ed
  • 08-06-2013 4:11 PM In reply to

Re: How to add fields to "Toolbox" to customize a screen

Answer

Hi Ed,

There are a bunch of different ways to tackle this.  My question for you would be this.  Do you need to know the complete purchase history when contacting the Lead or just the last purchase?

If its the complete history, what I would suggest is adding a dropdown field to you your history table to store the Lead. Then the table can be populated with the equipment and purchase dates for the Lead.  You could then put a grid of this table on your Edit Lead screen to show the purchase history of the Lead.

If its only the last purchase that's needed, you could just add the two fields directly to the Entity table.  Then just update them with the date and the last equipment purchased.  

With both solutions, there are ways to dynamically update them as you go forward.

If you need any help with this, we have in-house consultants you can talk to as well as our Method Solution Providers.

Hope this helps,

Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 08-07-2013 10:13 AM In reply to

Re: How to add fields to "Toolbox" to customize a screen

Thanks, Adam... I had to get this done (had a guy sitting on his hands to enter tons of data), so just added two fields to the customer table, and I think that did the trick.  Thanks for the feedback...

Ed
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)