Method Community

Custom Field

Last post 08-12-2013 9:53 AM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-08-2013 2:58 PM

• Juliet
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-22-2013
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 7

Custom Field

I want to add a custom field called "competition" to the additional information table under the leads tab. I have not been able to accomplish this simple task despite having watched the webinars. I can't find a table for lead or for additional information for that matter. I click on customize, tables/fields - then what should I click on to be able to add this field to my New Lead information?

Thanks,

Juliet

Juliet Morris
    Business Development Manager
    juliet@velvetsunrise.ca

Velvet Sunrise Coffee Roasters
    Web Site | Twitter | Facebook
    905.205.0783 | 8-100 Ringwood Drive, Stouffville, ON
    Velvet Sunrise works holistically with independent cafes and businesses that are motivated to improve their taste quality and consistency of product, improve their marketing and brand recognition, reduce cost and waste, while increasing sales, efficiency and profit.
  • 07-08-2013 4:59 PM In reply to

Re: Custom Field

Answer

Hi Juliet,

I believe you are on the track, I will do my best to guide you the rest of the way. First, we need to figure out the correct table to add this field to, as you found out, it isn’t called “Leads”.   The Leads screen is actually linked to the “Customer” Table, so the fields in the “Add Additional Info” Section would come from here.   This means we need to navigate to the “Customize” Tab, then the “Tables” Tab Link.  Now locate the “Customer” Table, and either click the name, or click the “Edit Fields” on the right.  Now “Add a New Field”, enter your Field name in the empty box, in your case “Competition”, choose the correct field type, then Click the button “Add Field”.  Once the field has been added, click “Finished Editing Fields”, from the bottom right of the pop-up screen. 

Now that our new field has been added to the “Customer” Table, we just have to show it on the Leads Screen.  From the Tab Links, go to “Screens” and locate “CRM_NewLead”, if you don’t see it in the list, you will have to change the dropdown box labeled “Screens” from “MyScreens” to “All Screens”. When you find the row, hover the mouse over it and you will see an option on the left-side for “copy”, click it.  Go through the 3 step Wizard, Step1; leave at “This Account”, Step 2; leave as is, or change the name if you would like, step3; make sure that “Replace Links to an existing screen” is selected, and that it will be replacing the original “CRM_NewLead”, then click the “Finished” Button.  You should be able to locate your new “CRM_NewLead(2)” (or the custom name you entered).  Hover your mouse over that row, and select the “edit” Button to the left.

Screenshot of How Copy/Edit Screens will look:

Now, locate your new field on the left-side, under “Add Fields”, and drag the “Competition” Box over to the “Additional Info” Section. You may want to add a row before dragging over, depending if you already have room in the section.  That is it, look towards the left-side of the customize screen, and hit the “Publish” Button, then “Save & Close”.  This will exit you out of the customize Screen, and when you navigate to your “Leads” Tab, you should see your new “Competition Field”.

Similar to this Screenshot:

Hopefully this will help you get through the whole process, if you don't understand any steps, just response to the post and we will get back to you.

- Ben

• 08-09-2013 12:08 PM In reply to

• Juliet
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-22-2013
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Posts 7

Hi Ben,

Sorry I am just getting around to this now - I am not sure what happened to July. So I added my custom field for competition. I have two questions that don't understand:

1) Field is too short and needs to be longer

2) Field does not appear on lead records I have already put in method - 300 of them? How can I make that happen.

Thanks,

Juliet

Juliet

Juliet Morris
    Business Development Manager
    juliet@velvetsunrise.ca

Velvet Sunrise Coffee Roasters
    Web Site | Twitter | Facebook
    905.205.0783 | 8-100 Ringwood Drive, Stouffville, ON
    Velvet Sunrise works holistically with independent cafes and businesses that are motivated to improve their taste quality and consistency of product, improve their marketing and brand recognition, reduce cost and waste, while increasing sales, efficiency and profit.
  • 08-12-2013 9:53 AM In reply to

Hi Juliet,

Please look below for my follow-up to your questions. 

1) You can always increase the size of characters for each text field from the table the field resides in.  In this case, go to Customize->Tables/Fields.  Locate the Customer Table, and find your custom "Competition" Field (refer to the 1st screenshot I posted in my original reply to see the screen this is changed from).  Look 2 columns to the right of the field name of your "Competition" field (title is "Size"), if you press your mouse over this area, you have the ability to change this value, for example you can increase a text field to 4095 characters.  That is it, simply click the Button "Finished Editing Fields", and your new field size should be updated.

2) I might require you to elaborate a bit on this question, but I will attempt to answer best I can.  I believe you are asking why your new field "Competition" doesn't show up when you view the grid on the "Leads List and Contacts List" Screen.  To this point, my answers have guided you to add an additional Field to your table, then I have guided you to be able to actually enter a value for this new field, for each lead So each of these leads records you have added a "competition" value to, it should still be stored in the database, however, you would have to do some more customization in order to see this new field on your screens.  If you want a quick way to prove that this field has been added, and populated for your 300+ leads, you can export your customer table and make sure to include your new field "competition" in your export. 

I have provided a link here, to help you export this table (remember to export the "Customer" table and include your "Competition" Field in the export)

How to view new Field on the Leads and Contacts List Screen:

Note: Because we entered the "Competition" field in the Customer table, we need to add a link to this field in the Contacts Table, in order to have this field available for the "Leads and Contacts List" Screen:

- Go to Customize->Tables/Fields.  Locate the "Contacts" Table, and click "Edit".  At the top of the pop-up window check off the "Add a linked Field" radio box.  Then, select the "Entity" table for the "Link Using" dropdown choice.  In "Linked Field" locate your "Competition" Field, then click the "Finished Editing Fields" button. - Screenshot below.

Edit Screen:

- Go to Customize->Screens.  You will have to find the screen CRM_LeadList and make a copy of it.  Once a copy has been created, then go to "Edit" this new screen, and look for the section on the right labelled "Existing Leads and Contacts List".  Edit the "Contacts" grid in the section by clicking the "edit" link on the far right side.  Go to "Step 2of9 Grid Columns", and proceed to add your "competition" field to the grid here, when done, click the "Finish" Button. - Screenshot below.

That should be it.  Lcoate your new "Leads and Contacts List" Screen it should now display the Competition Field from the grid view.  I hope I was able to answer your questions, please reply to this Forum Thread if you have any further questions/issues with this.

Regards,

Ben

Linking "Competition" field to Contacts Table:

Add "Competition" Field to Leads and Contacts List" Grid.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)