Method Community

Using classes in the customer screen

Last post 09-13-2013 11:01 AM by Anonymous. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-10-2013 4:19 PM

Using classes in the customer screen

I would like to be able to assign a class to a customer and then have that class automatically be pulled into class on an invoice when that customer is retrieved.

I have the class dropdown coming up in the customer screen and it seems to me like I may need to save it to another field and the retrieve it from that field into the invoice class field. 

Can you tell me if I am moving in the right direction?  Can you tell which action I need to use to save it?  I have tried a number of ways and have not been successful yet.

Thank you.

• 09-11-2013 12:03 PM In reply to

Re: Using classes in the customer screen

Hi VLocke,

It sounds like you are close, however it depends on how you have setup the Class Dropdown field in your Customer table.  You should be good if added the new field by going to Customize->Tables/Fields, then created a new Dropdown Field Name (in my test I called it ClassCustomer), and when you click "Add Field", you used the option "Choose from an Existing Table", which points to the original "Class" table that is being used in the Invoice Screen.

If you have set it up this way, then all you would need to do from the Invoice Screen is add a "Retreive Value from Table" action to the "Customer" Field.  If you go to Edit the Customer Field, in Step 2of6, Look at the Event "Text Change", this is where all the fields get populated when you select a particular Customer.  Refer to my screenshot below for how I added the "Retrieve Value from Table" action for Class, then I placed it close to the other "Retreive Value from Table" Actions already listed.

Once you have done this, your screen should now be loading the Class Value you have stored from the EditCustomer Screen.  Let me know if this helps or if you need any further help with this.

-Ben

• 09-11-2013 2:49 PM In reply to

Ben,

I believe this is the next step I need to do. But I am having problems getting the class that is picked from the dropbox to save to the customer.  Do you have any suggestions for this part?

Thanks,

VLocke

• 09-11-2013 3:09 PM In reply to

VLocke,

Can you confirm that the Class you have selected from the Customer Screen isn't being saved to the Customer Record?  You can easily do this by going to Customize->Integration Tools, then Export the Table, make sure to include the column that you have named for the "Class" dropdown.  As long as you have created your "Class" dropdown field in the Customer Table the way I described in my previous post, when you hit the "Save" button on your EditCustomer Screen, it is performing a "Save all Sections" action which will store this "Class" fullname value to your Customer Record.

-Ben

• 09-12-2013 11:02 PM In reply to

Ben,

This was a great way to check to see if the field was saving.

Once I followed your previous instructions all the way through I have almost everything working.  The class is saving in the customer screen and the class is automatically pulling into the class field on the invoice at the top of the screeen.  But I am thinking I need another step to get the class to come into the invoice line item rows for the rows with data.  I have added a field for classes to the screen.  I have attached a action to the class field on the invoice line item grid similar to the one you told me to use on the customer and class field on the invoice but it is still not bringing the class into the invoice line item row.  Suggestions?

Thanks,

VLocke

• 09-13-2013 11:01 AM In reply to

Hi Vlocke,

What you have done so far wouldn't actually populate the Class Column in the InvoiceLine grid because this grid is based off another table, InvoiceLine. However, it wouldn't be too difficult to carry this value over to the InvoiceLine Table, per item.  This can be done in a similar way as how you brought it over to the Invoice Screen in the first place.  You can do this by adding a "Retrieve Value from Table" Action for the "item" Column of the "InvoiceLineItem" Grid.  Choose the "Text Change" Event, and take the "Class" Field of your Invoice Table, and assign it to the InvoiceLineItems: Class Field. I created a screenshot below which should help you with this final step.  Please let me know if this helps.

- Ben

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)