Method Community

New Transactions: Terms do not generate discounts / tax

Last post 09-05-2013 11:23 AM by Method_Adam. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-04-2013 4:10 PM

• john475
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-04-2013
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 2

New Transactions: Terms do not generate discounts / tax

New user here. I'm getting settled in to the basics of Method, and really like your available resources, but can't find the answer to this one:

Any New Transaction (Invoices or Estimates) that I create do not generate automatic Discounts or Tax as specified by the Terms.

I posted a picture of the test case below... As you can see the bottom field are all generally blank. This is after entering products and clicking 'Update'. I assigned this contact Terms called 'Net 30 / Discount 5%'. The Due Date autofilled correctly, but the Discount % is blank (i double checked to see that 5% was in fact saved in the Term selected). The Tax has also been set in this Terms, but does not appear either. They still do not apply after I Save or go to print the Invoice.

Any clues? Thanks.

Invoice Issue

-John
  • 09-05-2013 9:40 AM In reply to

Re: New Transactions: Terms do not generate discounts / tax

Hi John,

While you can apply the payment terms at the invoice level, the discount as per the terms won't apply until payment.  Therefore, the invoice won't show the discount.  To add to this, QuickBooks Online (QBO) does not actually have a mechanism in place to apply the discount upon payment.  See this article here for an explanation on how terms are applied in QBO.

As for the sales tax, the Customer in your screen shot is set as a Non Taxable Customer, which would be why the taxes don't apply.  I aslo don't see how you can set a tax as part of a term.  Here is a screen of the Edit Term in QBO:

Are you using an International version of QBO?

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 09-05-2013 10:05 AM In reply to

• john475
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-04-2013
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 2

I don't know if it's International version or not... it doesn't make any mention of that anywhere. Just Quickbooks Online Plus.

I just heard back from a similar post I made on a Quickbooks forum and heard that the Online version does not support this sort of advanced autofill. But looking into the Customizing options on Method, it looks like I could program it into existance via conditional statements added to Customer selection in the Invoice screen. Sound about right?

-John
  • 09-05-2013 11:23 AM In reply to

Answer

John,

You could put in actions that do something like that on a text change in the Terms dropdown.  The drawback I see is that any discounts applied would be applied on the invoice itself at the start.  So if a term was to apply a 10% discount if paid within 15 days, that 10% is applied to the invoice regardless of whether that payment term is met.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)