Method Community

Creating a save and edit custom button on the add/edit work order popup.

Last post 09-27-2013 12:06 PM by Anonymous. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-26-2013 12:43 AM

Creating a save and edit custom button on the add/edit work order popup.

I am having some issues with my dispatch not getting all the customers information and I can't figure out how to get this custom button to work properly.  An example of what I'm talking about. A new lead calls so dispatch goes to the leads tab and clicks new lead. We do not get all their info upfront because new leads are calling for price quotes but we ask for their name, zip, phone, email, how they heard about us, etc before we talk about their problem. Once we get that info the dispatch will click a custom button called save & Calendar (working button). Once clicked, the info is saved and our field service center calendar opens. then we talk to the customer about their problem and schedule the appointment. Once the add/edit work order popup opens we fill out that info. Now here is my dilemma. I have added a custom button called Save & Edit Customer Info. I want this button to save the created work order(working) and automatically open the edit customer tab on the CRM tab not the Field Service Center tab. This way the dispatch can't give me any excuse as to why she didn't get the rest of the customer info.

What I have so far in this button actions: The standard conditional warnings to save the work order and the save all sections.  I know I need 3 more actions which are: Retrieve Value from table - get the customers FullName from the activity. Retrieve value from table - get the customers record id. And the go to tab link.  My problem is I can get it to go to the CRM customer edit tab, but it's not getting any info.

Please help me fill in the action properties for these last three actions. thanks

• 09-26-2013 9:59 AM In reply to

Re: Creating a save and edit custom button on the add/edit work order popup.

Hi Wildliferemoval,

There are some great examples of this being done from some of the existing stock Method Screens, I have a forum post here should help pinpoint how to setup these actions.  In this example, from the Estimate screen, when you click the "More Actions" button at the bottom of the screen, you have the option to "Create Sales Order".  I believe this is doing what you are attempting yourself, it will take all the information currently on the Estimate screen, and carry it over to the Sales Order screen, populating all of the necessary fields when the link is opened.  If you were to view the "Create Sales Order" event actions from this button, you should be able to see how this information is being transitioned from one screen to the other.  Make sure to also pay attention to how the "go to link" action was setup here, you would likely require a similar format.

Please let us know if this helps.  If you are still stuck or have more specific questions after looking through the example I mentioned above, please feel free to post your questions here.

• 09-26-2013 1:55 PM In reply to

I dont need to insert data from 1 field to another as explained in the link you posted.

When we get a phone call from a new lead, we get some basic info so we can call them back with a follow up if they dont schedule an appointment at that time. If they do schedule an appointment, we go to the calendar and create a new work order. In this work order I need a custom button that saves and closes the work order (working) and then I need it to open the screen customers and open the edit customer tab so we can fill in the rest of the customers info.

Example. If on the calendar tab and you hover over an appointment, click the arrow you get a drop down box showing change status, create invoice, edit, go to customer.... If you click that go to customer button it takes you to the customer tab edit that customer. I need my button to do the same thing.

I have look at how this works by going to the calendar wizard step six, event - go to customer... and it is showing 3 order actions. 1. retrieve value from table get the customers fullname from the activity. 2. Retrieve value from table get the customers recordid. 3. go to tab link.

I have set my button up exactly like  it is shown here but my button will go to the customer tab edit      tab but it doesn't retrieve the customer or customers data.

• 09-26-2013 4:33 PM In reply to

Answer

Wildliferemoval, 

I apologize, I believe I missunderstood what you were requesting in your first post.  I did a couple of tests on my own and created a button on my Work Order screen called "Save and EditCustomer", which will save the Work Order, then open my EditCustomer screen, and populate all fields for this same customer.  Take a look at the screenshot below for how I setup the "Go To Tab Link" action, try to get the information from this and let me know if your button that goes to the EditCustomer screen works based off this.

- Ben

• 09-26-2013 5:37 PM In reply to

That worked. Thank you very much. Ive been trying to figure this out for days.

• 09-27-2013 12:06 PM In reply to

Wildliferemoval,

Thanks for the feedback, glad we could help!

-Ben

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)