Method Community

Actions for inserting into a field not working

Last post 10-07-2013 1:23 PM by Method_Adam. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-04-2013 12:20 PM

• Nebo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2013
    • Posts 29

Actions for inserting into a field not working

Hi there,

I've created actions for RecordID field. They are as follows:

http://screencast.com/t/QbFaEpZr2

http://screencast.com/t/Hm73U5fZ

You realize that I want to copy RecordID from bills table to be used as RefNumber on the bill itself. When I assign this action set to text change they dont work. When I assign them to button click they do work. But I want to automate this process, so it copy the RecordID into RefNumber on creation of bill via API.

I presume I'm making a mistake somewhere, but I'm unable to see where exactly.

• 10-04-2013 3:44 PM In reply to

Re: Actions for inserting into a field not working

Hi Nebo,

Can you tell me what you are trying to accomplish? What action on screen are you putting the match calculation action?  

If the bill is created through the API, I'm thinking you could take the recordID from the bill (created from the API) and put it directly into the RefNumber field.  I don't see the need for a Math Calculation action.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 10-04-2013 7:22 PM In reply to

• Nebo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2013
    • Posts 29

I'll accept it, only if you tell me how? I tried what was logical to me....but all failed. And we must agree that there is no extensive and detailed documentation on MethodCRM.

• 10-07-2013 8:18 AM In reply to

Hi,

From the screens you posted earlier (they are both the same), you are taking the recordID field value and adding 0 to save it to an action result. A much better route to take would be to use the Assign value to action result or the Enter value into field on Screen. This of course is assuming that the record itself is already created.  In order to fully understand the process and to provide a better answer, I need to know what screen and what actions (by a user) are being done.

I'm going to assume that the bill is already created and you are selecting it from the BillList grid.  If that's the case, then all you'd need to do is to edit the action of the Select link in the BillList grid.  Add the "Enter value into field on screen" action to put the Screen Active RecordID into the RefNumber field.  The action should look like this:

If you are using a different process, let me know.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 10-07-2013 8:48 AM In reply to

• Nebo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2013
    • Posts 29

I have edited the shortcut links in my original post, now they show both actions. What I'm trying to do is set up the record ID on invoices imported from third party software via API. I get the bills with line items, dates and everything imported via API, and I want to assign them a ref. number value on import. It could as well be RecordID value. So I want that to happen on import of bill.

• 10-07-2013 1:23 PM In reply to

Looking at the second screen, I would change the Where clause from RecordID = Action Result: refnoresult to RecordID = Value from Screen RecordID. An even better approach would be the action I suggested above, if the recordID is available on screen.

If this is being imported through the API, where are these actions posted above taking place? From what I understand of the API, you will get an XML response of the recordID if the insert was successful. Perhaps you can use this in additional API calls to update the Ref Number field.  However, a question like this is better off asked in our API Forums.

If this is something you wish to do with an action on a Method screen, let me know which screen and button this is happening on. Depending on where the action is taking place, I believe I can suggest a better way of doing this.  Also, are you using Invoice and Bill interchangably?  Method has both an Invoice screen and Bill screen, so this is confusing me a bit.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)