Method Community

Method Freezing

Last post 08-11-2008 2:46 PM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-07-2008 1:00 PM

Method Freezing

After using Method for 20 minutes or so I ruitinely need to shut IE down and re-open it. IE memory usage skyrockets and the system becomes unsable. Once I shut IE and reopen it Method works fine. This only happens with Method.

Jacob

• 08-11-2008 2:16 PM In reply to

Re: Method Freezing

Hi Jacob,

I typically have Method opened throughout the day and don't seem to run into any issues with Internet Explorer shutting down on me.  Do you have any type of tool bars maybe that could be causing IE to be going in overdrive while Method is running?  Don't get me wrong, Method is intensive when it comes to using memory on a webpage but that could be even higher with other tool bars installed.  I don’t install any of those toolbars in Internet Explorer.  I find they tend to just slow things down.

• 08-11-2008 2:24 PM In reply to

Danny

I brought a different computer home this past weekend to play with it on and did not have any issues. I think my other computer was having trouble due to the memory requirements.

What are the recommended computer specifications?

Thank you -

Jacob 

• 08-11-2008 2:46 PM In reply to

Hi Jacob,

I don't usually make recommendations when it comes to 'specs' per say on buying a computer.   Theoretically, if you are able to open Internet Explorer 7.0 and have a screen resolution of 1024 X 768, you should be good to go.  Provided of course you are just using the Method interface and not having this computer be the computer hosting the QuickBooks database. 

If you do have the computer hosting the QuickBooks database and the Method Listener, you want to crank it up a notch (or several notches) depending on how hard this computer is going to be used across the network.  At that point, it’s now so much what the specs are for Method but you want to have a decent server hosting your QuickBooks database file anyway!

Some things I would look out for when selecting a computer to interact with Method:

1 – Get a decent screen.  The lowest screen resolution monitor you can get on the market is 1024 X 768.  We work with 1024 X 768.  Are you going to get the experience of a life time using this size screen, no, you’re not.  It’s like having a couple living in a bachelor/studio condo.  It works but gets a little uncomfortable at times.  Treat yourself to a nice size resolution.  I just got the Dell XPS M1330 laptop (which is pretty sweet) and it has a resolution of 1280 X 800.  Perfect for what I need.  I could have gone bigger but would have sacrificed the size of my laptop.  By all means, if you can go bigger, go bigger! 

2 – RAM.  Computers love RAM and always have for as long as I have worked with them (and that has been a while).  So if you can load up on extra memory, do it.  Especially for your staff, if you don’t want to spend the money on upgrading their machines, load them up with a ton of memory and they will be happy campers.  It’s amazing what a memory upgrade on a computer will do.  Keep in mind that if you are getting a new computer, check to see what the memory can be expanded to.  Don’t get caught buying a laptop or desktop that caps you at 2 GB of memory.  Might be why it is so cheap or on sale!  That will limit you from upgrading your operating system in the future or adding additional memory for applications if you need it. 

Hope that helps and glad to see that issue is resolved!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)