Method Community

copy field

Last post 12-10-2013 8:49 AM by Anonymous. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-09-2013 3:47 PM

copy field

on my new lead and new cusotmers screens, how can i make it so when lead/customer is entered that information automatically shows up in the company name field? this seems like a real simple customiztion but when i edit the field and create an action that retrieves the value from the screen for the customer/lead field and update the company field it doesn't work. and i get the "..." box at the end of the field when i load the screen. . .

should the action be done in the customer/lead name field or the comapany name field? what am i doing wrong?

• 12-09-2013 4:32 PM In reply to

Re: copy field

clarification:  leadname and customername are the fields i want to copy into the compnayname field

• 12-10-2013 7:20 AM In reply to

• Matt
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-04-2008
    • Posts 877

If you are getting the "..." button, it means yu put the actions in the 'On Button Click' event. You probably want the actions in the 'lose focus' event. That way the actions will run when you tab out of the field.

Matt Raiser

Founder,

www.techinthefield.com

matt@techinthefield.com

219-221-9500

~ Method user / partner since 2008

~ Over 15 years field service experience

~ 2013 Method Partner of the Year

~ Degree in Computer Science

Creator of:

• 12-10-2013 8:14 AM In reply to

I sitll can't seem to get it to work. Should I enter the actions on the leadname or companyname field? (I want companyname to automatically change to leadname).

I tried using a lose focus action on leadname that got the value from screen and made companyname the same as leadname. I also tried using a gain focus action on the companyname field and neither worked.

• 12-10-2013 8:49 AM In reply to

Hi swm023,

Matt, thanks for your help in this thread.  

Swm023, from what you described in your last post if you want the CompanyName to change to your Lead Name, then you should put this action in on the Lose Focus action for CompanyName.  If you do this, it means that as soon as your cursor leaves the Company Name Field (meaning once you have filled in the Company Name manually and then you leave this field), you have an action set to have this value to also be saved as the "Lead Name" field.

So, if you were to do this from the New Lead screen, simply edit the Company Name field, in step 2 choose the Event "Lose Focus", there is actually already a very similar action here, Action #2 on stock screens, "Copy Company Name to Bill To".  What you want to do is almost identical to this action, however instead of choosing the "Bill To" field, you need to choose the Lead Name Field, if you want you can even make a copy of this action and change the "Update Field or Object" field manually yourself.  I have attached a screenshot of what it shouild look like, please let me know if this helped solve your issue.

-Ben

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)