Method Community

Email within Activities not working properly

Last post 12-19-2013 1:59 PM by Anonymous. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-16-2013 7:02 PM

Email within Activities not working properly

When I write an estimate or invoice and his save and email everything goes through just fine, no issues.

I wanted to have a quick email template to email customers through the activity so here is the template I created.

I go into my edit test customer screen, click activities, click new activity, make sure the contact info is there, click send email and choose the correct template and complete, save and close.

Dear Customer.FirstName,

(my text i want to say to customers go here)

Just a reminder, your current balance is Customer.Balance.

You can always access your customer portal here: http://urlforportal/

Thank you for your business,

Users.UserName,

Company.CompanyName

(my number here)

(my website here)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem is the email that gets sent out dosent auto fill in the info so it looks identical to the template above.

I thought I was doing something wrong since invoices and estimates go through just fine, so I tried something else.

I went to the email templates tab and opened the invoice notification template. I unhid this template, went to the customer activity screen choose the invoice notification template and sent it to the customer. Customer being me with a test email.

Here is the email I received through the activity tab.

Invoice Notification

To view your invoice from Company.CompanyName for Invoice.Amount, or to download a PDF copy for your records, please click the link below:

http://urlforportal/

If you are asked for your email address to sign in, please use test123456789@gmail.com.

Thank you for your business,

Company.CompanyName

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I dont understand why emails are doing this through the activity tab like this but I would like to know how to fix it.
    Thank you
  • 12-17-2013 9:29 AM In reply to

Re: Email within Activities not working properly

Hi there,

I am looking into this issue -- give me a few, and I'll have an update for you. :)

Naeem

• 12-17-2013 9:39 AM In reply to

Hey,

You mentioned that the autofill doesn't happen when you send the email out. When you choose the email template in the "New Activity" screen, and it populates the preview email fields with the template information, does it not autofill in the body of that preview either?

Naeem 

• 12-18-2013 10:06 AM In reply to

No it dosnt and I have activiated the method support user so you can log into the account to see whats going on. Company name is Wildliferemoval

The only template that seams to work on the activity send email page is the method overdue ballance template.

• 12-18-2013 10:22 AM In reply to

Hi wildlife,

The reason your invoice template can't send through the activity screen is because the fields in the invoice don't correspond to the activity screen's mail merge fields. You can learn more about the mail merge here. The only fields you can plug in to the template are fields that are accessible in that screen -- in a customer activity, that refers to the customer details. That is why the invoice template won't auto-fill through that screen.

Let me know if that helps.

Naeem

• 12-18-2013 6:16 PM In reply to

I guess I dont under stand it. I have read he mail merge link and it sound like all i have to do it put in customer.FirstName, Customer.Ballance and it should pull the info from the correct tables.

• 12-19-2013 9:40 AM In reply to

Thanks for letting me know. I'm going into your system to see if I can pinpoint the issue.

• 12-19-2013 9:47 AM In reply to

So I just went into your system and tried to do an activity. I created an email and tried all 4 of the existing templates you have -- aside from the invoice one (which we discussed), they all worked and autofilled correctly. What browser are you using? Is there a particular template in that list that the issue is happening for you?

Note: Company.CompanyName won't work on that screen because it's not a part of the merge fields.

• 12-19-2013 1:53 PM In reply to

Are there any Webinars on how to setup the merge fields. I would like to create my own templates that pull info from work orders and different places, I just don't understand this process. I read the link you posted earlier on merge fields but that didn't explain how to create them. From what I read it sounded like all I would have to do is type in [customer.name] which would automatically pull the info from the customer table and name from that corresponding  field located within the customer table, but I see its not as easy as that even though it should be.

If there are no webinars could you please give me an example on how to do this. Let's say I want to use the Invoice template on the activities tab. How would I setup the merged field for the Company.CompanyName to  get this  info and put it into the subject line. Or better yet, how do I go about getting the customer portal link to work properly

• 12-19-2013 1:59 PM In reply to

Answer

Hi wildlife,

We don't have any webinars on this unfortunately. However, if you go into your screen designer and customize the "New Activity" screen -- find the drop down for "Choose email template" and click "Edit". If you look at the actions for that, you will see a bunch of merge field actions -- those actions basically select which table's get included in the merge. You'll notice that the Company table isn't included in that action list, which is why you can't do Company.CompanyName -- but you can add it in if you want it.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Naeem

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)