Method Community

GRID ?s

Last post 03-02-2010 10:25 AM by Anonymous. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-26-2010 6:38 PM

GRID ?s

I have a "Parts List" grid that is linked to an RGA screen for returns.  Works fine.  I wanted to use the same table for a new "Parts Order Form".  The Grid is not linked, I'm not sure how to link it, if I can, or if it matters.  I set it up on the "Parts Order Form" as a Detached Table.  The problem is it seems to Give a list of all the parts that were ever entered into the grid.  The RGA screen just has the upper GRID sort columns and then when you "ENTER" a new Part to Return it adds a line to the Grid.  That's how it should work.  I'm not sure what I'm missing or doing wrong.  Please advise if possible.

thank you,

Wavetec

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 03-01-2010 11:36 AM In reply to

Re: GRID ?s

Hello Greg,

Before I can start pointing you in the right direction I need more info. Perhaps outline a scenario from start to finish and let me know what results you want in the end. That way I can better guide you.

Right now I'm not sure if there should be a relation between Parts List and Part Order Form and if there should be a relation then what is the 1 thing that creates the relation.  Are these grids on different screens?  Is there a reason you used the same table for both grids? If you did use the same table I'm not sure how you have 2 detached grids.

Once you paint a clearer picture we'll be better able to give you some tips.

• 03-01-2010 1:13 PM In reply to

Ok.  Let's see...

I created an RMA screen.  This has an RMA grid on it for each new RMA.  Also on this screen is a GRID for the parts that are being returned.  It has QTY, PART#, DESCRIPTION, etc.  This grid is attached to the RMA screen, though I don't know how, it just is.  This works fine.  When I open the RMA screen I see the PART RETURN GRID in the middle of the screen with nothing in it just top line of text boxes for filtering the lists.  Basically it looks like a blank grid without any information in it.  I can add a new entry and then there will be a line under the filter boxes with the information on the part I just entered.  As I said this works fine, this is what I'm looking for.

I have just created a new screen, PARTS ORDER FORM.  I wanted to have a GRID at the bottom to order parts and I figured since the PART RETURN GRID already had the table for parts I would just add that GRID to this screen.  I did NOT show in the "attached" area so I added it as "DETACHED".  This pulled up the GRID fine but on the screen it shows 200+ pages of every PART RETURN ever entered into the PART RETURN GRID.  I was going to just create another Table for the PARTS ORDER FORM but I don't know how to "attach" it to the PARTS ORDER FORM screen.  I just need a GRID that I can enter QTY, PART #, and DESCRIPTION onto the screen and then have it PRINT off to PDF so we can order parts without using a separate WORD Document.

I'm not sure how I created the orginal RMA screen and PART RETURN GRID because it was over a year ago.  I'm not sure what I'm missing but I did do it before.  I did see a LINK in the PART RETURN GRID that was labeled RMAREF.  This is not on the GRID on the screen.  I believe it is a DROPDOWN list of the RMA # from the RMA screen.  I do not have a SPECIAL # for the PART ORDER FORM screen.  I could use the RECORDID from the screen but again I'm not sure how to do it.

thanks for your help,

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 03-01-2010 3:35 PM In reply to

Answer

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the detailed info. Ok now I think I have a better understanding of what you are looking for. So if I understand correctly you have 3 grids up in the air; 1. RMA grid, 2. Part Return and 3. Parts Order form. You have 2 screens 1. RMA screen and 2. Parts Order Form screen. Right now your RMA screen works fine but not the Parts Order Form screen.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my assumption is that RMA and the Parts Order Form are 2 completely separate things, so based on this it doesn't make sense to be using the same table for both screens.  You might want to create a new table for your Parts Order Form and include the necessary fields then you would want to add a button to the screen and add actions to print a report into PDF document. 

Tip, when you are creating your new table you might want to check the option "Automatically create new Screen for this Table?", this way you'll automatically have a the fields, grid and some buttons thrown on to the newly built screen when you finish creating your table.  I'm guessing this is what you did the 1st time round when you created the RMA screen that's why the grid was on the screen without you having to manually add it.  For more on creating reports you can take a look at the webinars and blog entries on report designing using the Method Report Designer. Another option would be to export the grid to excel. Here you can add a button to the screen and add action to export data in a grid to an excel spreadsheet.

Hope this helps.

• 03-01-2010 5:01 PM In reply to

All of that is correct but I have already created a table and screen for the PARTS ORDER FORM.  How do I create another Table for it to create the PARTS GRID that will be "ATTACHED" to the PARTS ORDER FORM screen?

For the RMA screen  there is a RMA table that I built the screen from and a  PARTS RETURN Table that I built the GRID from.  2 separate tables on 1 screen and when I look at the properties of the PARTS RETURN GRID it says it is "ATTACHED".

How do I link the 2 tables together?  That is the real question.  I know how to create tables and screens, I'm not sure how to link one to another.

thanks,

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 03-02-2010 10:25 AM In reply to

Hi Greg,

Ahhh now I think we are getting closer to what you are looking for. In that case, you can try making a reference to the Parts Order Form from the Parts Return table. To do this you would want to add a dropdown field in your Parts Return table (has to be a unique field such as Record ID for example) referencing the Parts Order Form. This will then create the relationship, after which you should be able to add an attached (Parts Return)grid to your Parts Order Form screen. If you still need assistance with this you might want to consider booking some time with your Consultant for more guidance if needed. Let me know if this works.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)