Method Community

how to enter default value for "From Name" in email screen?

Last post 03-31-2014 8:02 AM by Method_Adam. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-26-2014 8:43 AM

how to enter default value for "From Name" in email screen?

Greetings,

I'm a newbie and a one-man operation starting up a social services training and consulting firm, so customizing Method is a bit of a stretch for me. Nonetheless, I am trying to do something myself that seems like it ought to be pretty easy -- if I had a clue.

I want to make my company name the default value in the From Name field in the Send Email screen. I've tried multiple times to Edit and enter the default in the From Name field, then I publish, but it doesn't stick when I go to send an email. I am trying to do this in a copy of the CRMQBO_NewActivity screen. Is that where I should be?

Many thanks.

Jack

• 03-27-2014 2:12 PM In reply to

Re: how to enter default value for "From Name" in email screen?

Hi Jack,

There are lots of places to send an email through Method, but if you are contacting customers, the activity screen is the place you probably want to be. So you're in the right spot.

When you say you've changed the default in the From Name field, do you mean in the Send Email action?  If so, I think what you're seeing is the screen actions placing the User's Entity name into the From Name field. This action is found on the "Send an Email?" checkbox on the screen (see below):

What you can do is change this action from grabbing the Entity name to pull the Company Name from the Company table instead. Now its usually bad form to hard code values (like the recordID = 1 below), but you will only ever sync one company to this account. A better way to do this would be to add a second action that will grab the recordID from the Company table and put it in an action result.  Then use that action result to locate the record.  For an example of this, see action #28 on the Save button of the same screen.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Hope this helps.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 03-27-2014 9:07 PM In reply to

Thanks a lot, Adam. I appreciate those good screen shots.

I used the better way, as you suggested, and added a second action. It works, but if I change the template selection the From Name field goes blank again and I have to go back to unclick "Send an email" and then click "Send an email" again to get my company name to populate the field again.

Please advise how to avoid these extra steps.

Jack

• 03-31-2014 8:02 AM In reply to

Hi Jack,

Sorry, I didn't realize there were additional actions that may have overwrote this. The reason for this is because the "From Name" field is automatically populated with User's full name when the template is selected.  There are a number of ways to go about changing this, it just really depends on your workflow.  The action for this can be found on the template dropdown itself in the Send an Email section. Its action sequence #1 in the action set. You may be able to simply remove it to get your desired results.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)