Method Community

Group Items on Estimates - quantities disappearing

Last post 05-14-2014 11:45 AM by davewalter. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-12-2014 6:10 PM

Group Items on Estimates - quantities disappearing

I'm having trouble with some Group Items on my Estimate form, where the Group Items seem to disappear and then reset randomly.  I set up some Group Items to capture common components of somethings we sell.  This is helpful because the detailed items within the Group are hidden, and my customer only sees the grand total of the group items.  Here is what is happening:

1- I enter the Group "Item" as a line item on the Estimate form

2- I hit Update and Save, and this brings all detailed Items from the Group onto the screen with a zero quantity.  The actual Group line item shows a Qty of 1

3- I update quantities and prices and click "Update" to update the subtotal.  Then I click Save, which updates the Grand Total of the Estimate.

4- I delete line items from the Group that don't apply to this particular Estimate, and click Update and Save.

4- If I add New Line items below the Group items, sometimes I've been having a problem where ALL of the Group Items are re-loaded onto the screen, overwriting what I previously had.  So the sub-total is now a lower amount than the Grand Total.  The Grand Total does change to the new lower amount if I hit Save.  So, now I need to go back to each line item within the Group and update them again. 

Either I'm doing something wrong, or there is a glitch of some kind.  Would appreciate any assistance!

Thank you

• 05-14-2014 10:40 AM In reply to

Re: Group Items on Estimates - quantities disappearing

Hi Dave,

Regarding your step #2, can you verify that the items have the correct quantity within the group? To do this, click on the QuickBooks tab group from the dropdown at the top right of the screen (beside your username). Then click on Lists > Items, and find your item group in the grid. Please make sure that you don't have 0 quantity for the items in the group here. For example:

I haven't been able to reproduce your issue where group items are reloaded onto the screen. I added the group item above, deleted "Install Service", updated & saved, and then added that group item again, but everything works fine. You mentioned that this only happens sometimes, can you identify a pattern when this happens? Is it a specific group item this happens to, or a specific series of actions?

Please let me know.

-Russell

• 05-14-2014 11:02 AM In reply to

Thanks Russell.  The Items look correct, however, one thing...in my Group, the Group items include all items that could potentially be sold as part of that service.  I have purposely kept all my items at a quantity of zero - I just add item quantities based on items specific to that job.  Is that a problem?

• 05-14-2014 11:38 AM In reply to

Hi Dave,

Nope that's not a problem, at first I thought this wasn't the behaviour you wanted. Please let us know if this issue happens again, and if you notice a pattern for when this happens it will make solving it easier.

-Russell

• 05-14-2014 11:45 AM In reply to

Yes I will let you know if I experience it again.  The issue was that after I edited quantities and prices, and then saved it, the Group Items would load AGAIN at Zero quantities - effectively wiping out all the work I'd done.  But NON-Group items remained intact...weird.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)