Method Community

x64 version of Method Sync Engine?

Last post 05-27-2014 5:02 PM by furrywombat. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-20-2014 6:25 PM

x64 version of Method Sync Engine?

Are you guys planning on releasing a 64-bit version of the sync engine any time soon? I feel like the sync is not happening fast enough when performing large updates in the 10's or 100's of thousands record-wise.

Yes, I am a speed freak. Thoughts?

EDIT: Maybe a stupid question, but are do you guys have a version of the sync engine that utilizes more processor threads? Right now, this thing is putting almost zero load on my workstation. This, with QB, QODBC, and Access running at full power all at once, is using about 4-5% of CPU / RAM.

Help a brother out? I know you're hiding it from me!

:)

EDIT: Multi-threading would be nice. The way the sync is happening now, smells like serial. If you guys have anything in alpha, beta, or whatever, that I can use to speed this up I will give you all of my wombat treats in exchange for such assistance.

EDIT: What if I installed QB and the sync engine on a RAMDisk? Just throwing ideas out... need to speed this up! As of right now, the current sync is going to take more than 38 hours.

EDIT: Turns out it only took about 16 hours. Nonetheless... Is it possible to run multiple instances of the sync engine at once?

• 05-21-2014 2:03 PM In reply to

Re: x64 version of Method Sync Engine?

Hi Furrywombat,

Here's my answer. As far as the the sync engine is concerned the speed depends on the Quickbooks SDK, the engine will work according to the properties of the quickbooks SDK.
    -Inder
  • 05-21-2014 2:12 PM In reply to

Inderdeep,

EDIT:

Intuit needs to get their head out of their ass and start doing some real work on the SDK which seems to have been completely abandoned. This kind of functionality is a joke! Completely restrictive, and though we are using QuickBooks "Enterprise", it is yet FAR from an enterprise-level application by any standards. Ridiculous! Completely ridiculous!

Inderdeep, is there any way to hack the SDK to make it faster? What if we ran the file on a Linux box? See http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/articles/HOW12295. Would this improve the SDK functionality? What about a Windows server? If we ran the QB file on a Windows Server 2012 of powerful build, on a local network, what then? Would the SDK move faster than a freaking turtle then?

I'm looking for any and all ways around these speed issues. We simply cannot afford to invest a quarter of a million dollars on a true enterprise-level accounting system. Not even close. Let me know your thoughts!!

Best,

Furry

• 05-27-2014 2:19 PM In reply to

Inderdeep,

Thanks for getting back to me. It's been close to a week and still waiting for an update from you on my latest reply. I have some additional questions as well, if you are capable of responding to them:

1) If we built a local server of powerful construction to host our QB file, and ran the Method Sync engine from that server, rather than from my workstation, along with MSSQL Server Enterprise Edition, would we see an improvement in the speed of synchronization?>

2) Can the Quickbooks SDK be hacked to improve the speed at which it communicates with QuickBooks? There's a major bottleneck somewhere, and I'm going to find it.

Awaiting your positive reply.

Best,

Furry

• 05-27-2014 4:00 PM In reply to

Hi Furry,

Firstly I apologise for the late response, So when we talk about the hacking the Quickbooks SDK, its not related to Method and we can't gaurantee that Sync engine will work with hacked SDK , so I guess my knowledge is restricted in that case. As far as building a powerful workstation will also not assure that Sync speed will increase, the sync engine can only run so fast that you might see a very small change in speed as your computer speed increases.

I can definitely try my level best to help you with Method related issues but my knowledge is restricted when it comes to improving the performance of the quickbooks SDK.

-Inder

• 05-27-2014 4:10 PM In reply to

Inder, thanks for your reply. The speed of the computer is maxed out so I guess we're at the mercy of the SDK at this point. I was only hoping that the SDK might function faster in a server environment. Can you comment on this? Were you directly involved with the development of the sync engine or would someone else be able to offer some additional insight? I'm at a loss with these lackluster speeds, caused not by you, but the SDK apparently.

• 05-27-2014 4:52 PM In reply to

Hi Furry,

I understand that you are having issue with the speed, but I don't think that running it on the server will make much difference in terms of the speed, again its the same theory that applies here. No, I was not involved in the development of the sync engine, but I will definitely ask development team if they can suggest something that might be useful for you.

-Inder

• 05-27-2014 5:02 PM In reply to

Thanks Inder!

Much appreciated. I know I'm asking to have my cake and eat it too here, but really just hoping that there is some kind of solution to the speed issue. It has become very cumbersome for us and we don't really have the option of moving away from QuickBooks (probably why QB knows they can get away with having a half-baked SDK).

Best,

Furry

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)