Method Community

Importing Questions

Last post 10-01-2014 4:08 PM by Method_Inderdeep. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-01-2014 3:24 PM

Importing Questions

We have about 66,000 customer records to import into method. Each one of these will also have a related set of information imported (serial number, version, and product info) into a custom table that we have created and linked to the customer info. Many of the customers will have two or more registration entries.

1. Will method function normally with this amount of information or will it get bogged down every time we try to do something.

2. As far as importing goes, I believe I have to do a two-step import process - once to get the customers in and then another one to get the registration info imported for the customer.
    - Any idea how long it would take to import this amount of data?
    - Can I do it at one shot or does it need to be broken up?

I saw an older post in the forum that they recommended using groups of 500. Not sure if this is still the case. Not really looking forward to going through the process of importing 132 different files to get the customers in, and at least that many for the second import.

• 10-01-2014 4:08 PM In reply to

Re: Importing Questions

Hello StWilson3,

Here's my answer. Firstly, yes Method can handle that much amount of information without any issues. But in terms of Importing I would highly recommend to start importing in a small batches in order to make sure importing is smooth. Here are few tips that I would like to share with you.

- Try importing 3000 customers first and see if they goes through smoothly, repeat it one more time to make sure your data is importing successfully. Once both the imports are successful, you can increase the number of customers with each import.

- If all the information is going to one table then Yes, you can definitely do it in one shot by putting the value in the corresponding fields of the Table. For more info please refer to this video Tutorials on Importing/Exporting Customers

- Unfortunately, there is no estimated time for the process, but if the number of records are more it is likely to take long time. Once you complete your first batch you will get idea how long it will take to update all those records. (Please do not try to update huge number of records like 10,000 or more.)

- As far as importing is concern, browser palys an important role. Mozilla firefox is very reliable browser and we never come across any issues while using Mozilla Firefox.

-Inder

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)