Method Community

Linking multiple tables for a report

Last post 10-17-2014 12:50 PM by Method_Inderdeep. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-14-2014 1:29 PM

Linking multiple tables for a report

I have a question about retrieving information from multiple tables with multiple entries all linked to one customer and reporting it in Excel.

Situation:  We are a Medical Device company and each Customer has Separate CONTACTS; SURGEONS; DEVICE INFO.

Customer Table with basic customer info.  (Name; Address; Rep; etc.)

A Contacts table has been linked to the Customer table. (Each Customer has multiple Contacts with Name; Phone; Email; etc.)

A Surgeon table has been linked to the Customer Table. (Each Customer has multiple Surgeons with Name; Phone; Email; etc. )(These are separate from Contacts but linked on the same page)

Currently, I can pull an Excel report from Contacts that has multiple lines of the Same Customer with each Contact for that Customer. 

I.E. customer1  Contact 1 info...

customer1  Contact 2 info...

customer1  Contact 3 info...

customer2  Contact 1 info...

customer2  Contact 2 info...    etc...

This works fine.

I also can pull the same information from the Surgeon Table.  It works fine.  Everyone is happy.

Here is what is being requested now...

One Single Report that has both Contact and Surgeon info (so they don't have to do Vlookups and link 2 separate XLS sheets)

I.E. customer1  Contact 1 info...

customer1  Contact 2 info...

customer1  Contact 3 info...

customer1                            Surgeon 1 info...

customer1                            Surgeon 2 info...

customer1                            Surgeon 3 info...

customer2  Contact 1 info...

customer2  Contact 2 info...

customer2                            Surgeon 1 info...

customer2                            Surgeon 2 info...  etc...

(Truly they would like Device info too but I figure if I can link 2 tables to 1 customer I can figure out how to do 3 tables.)

So I have linked all the tables together.  In report designer I've been able to create a report with Customer as the main table and Contacts and Surgeons as sub tables but when I run the report I only get:

Customer1 info...   Contact1 info...   Surgeon1 info...

Customer2 info...   Contact1 info...   Surgeon1 info...  etc...

I can't pull mutiple contacts or surgeons.

I have set up other reports with multiple "detail bands" that pull everything from a sub table but that was for a PDF not XLS.  Will that work for Excel also?  I need regular columns that are searchable and filterable etc.  Not just a list like a PDF.

Thanks,

WaveTec

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 10-17-2014 12:50 PM In reply to

Re: Linking multiple tables for a report

Hello Wavetec,

Sorry for the late reply. You can definitely achieve what you just mentioned above. If your tables are correctly linked, you can create a report based on Customer table and in Detail table option you can add Contacs and Surgeons. But if you are not getting the desired result, can you provide me some details on how you have linked your surgeon table and Conatcts table to Customer table. And what is the workflow  of adding surgeons to your account.

-Inder

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)