Method Community

Email within Method will not work

Last post 04-14-2010 1:34 PM by KevinB. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-13-2010 11:56 AM

Email within Method will not work

Greetings Community Folks- tried the email setup instructions posted below by Val @ Method.

Email Server address: smtp.gmail.com
    Email User name: yourgoogleaddress@gmail.com
    Email Password: yourpasswordhere

Yet, i get the following error message every time I try to send an email. (from an activity, within an opportunity): 

Error^Action Sequence:32. Error with user authentication;Server says: 504 5.3.3 AUTH mechanism LOGIN not available

Any assistance to be offered is greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Kevin

• 04-13-2010 1:58 PM In reply to

Re: Email within Method will not work

Answer

Hello Kevin,

Welcome to the Method forum!

The above example is a sample of what you would input if you were trying to setup Gmail within Method to send out e-mails. 
    If you are not using Gmail then the Email Server address and Email User name may be different. For instance, with our provider the Email User name would be 'youremailaddress' without the @mail.com.  You may want to contact your ISP/ Mail provider to confirm the Server address/Username/Password.  Once it is confirmed try again and let us know if that works.

Please note, in the sample provided if you are using Gmail; Email User name: yourgoogleaddress@gmail.com is just a sample so you would enter your actual e-mail so for instance kevin@gmail.com, the same for Email Password - enter your actual password.

Thanks for using the forum, we usually respond within 24 hours. Keep us posted.

• 04-13-2010 4:50 PM In reply to

Thanks Amanda -

I contacted our ISP (Nuvox), yet the mail will still not work. Entered smtp.nuvox.net for server address, my complete email address and password. Still not functioning, getting the error message: 

Error^Action Sequence:32. Error with user authentication;Server says: 504 5.3.3 AUTH mechanism LOGIN not available

We are new trial customers and this is becoming quite frustrating, as I cannot properly demonstrate the necessary email feature to our team.

We need a solution soon, we don't want to abandon what seems to be a fantastic product.

Many thanks for everything - Kevin

• 04-14-2010 9:25 AM In reply to

Hi Kevin,

I took a quick look at your ISP providers website to see how they require your username to be entered in and it looks like you're correct in using the full address for the username.  Big Smile

That being said, if your password is entered in correctly and there are no typos, it might be that your mail provider doesn't support emails being sent for SMTP from a source other than traditional email.  While this isn't common, it looks like this is the case for your email provider.  You might want to give them a call and explain that you are trying to use their SMTP server from a web application and see if this is supported.  

If it isn't supported, don't worry.  Sign up for a free Gmail account.  Gmail allows you to use their SMTP server for free.  Got to love Gmail.  Once you sign up for an account, type in the Gmail information for your email settings.  This will basically means you will use Gmail for your outgoing emails.  

One important thing to understand is that just because you're using Gmail's SMTP, doesn't mean you can't use your normal email throughout Method.  Gmail is just used as the delivery means to send your company emails.

Just my 2 cents :)

• 04-14-2010 9:52 AM In reply to

Kevin,

One last thing that I wanted to mention was that I noticed in your ISP's documentation that they require "SSL" for email SMTP connections.  This isn't an option for our SMTP so if this is required, might explain why it isn't working for you.  My suggestion is to do the Gmail route.  Not to mention, their SMTP server is fast. Cool

• 04-14-2010 10:01 AM In reply to

Will do Danny - thanks a bunch for your assistance. Geez, with all this GMail love from you guys, I'd think your product would be supported bt Google ChromeSmile

Cheers, Kevin

• 04-14-2010 10:45 AM In reply to

KevinB:

Will do Danny - thanks a bunch for your assistance. Geez, with all this GMail love from you guys, I'd think your product would be supported bt Google ChromeSmile

Cheers, Kevin

It will be a great day when we announce supporting Chrome as a browser.  I personally use it daily and love it.  A few things about it drive me nuts but besides that, it is a great browser.  Hopefully we will support it in the not so distant future.

Let us know if that works for you with the Gmail settings.

Danny

• 04-14-2010 1:34 PM In reply to

Danny - all worked fine with Gmail - thanks Heaps!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)