Method Community

Does custom fields and data sync from Method to QB?

Last post 05-30-2010 8:13 AM by jnoneiliv1. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-27-2010 6:15 PM

• DaveS
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2009
    • Boulder, Colorado
    • Posts 87

Does custom fields and data sync from Method to QB?

3 related questions:

1.  Do custom fields created in Method and the data that is populated into those custom fields sync with QB and feed the data from Method to QB?

2 . If I create custom fields in QB, will those custom fields automatically get created in Method, or do I also need to create the same custom fields in Method?

3.  Once both QB and Method have the same custom fields created, does Data entered in one copy and sync to the other?

Thanks.

Dave Sakamoto CPA, MBA
    Founder and CEO Info On The Web
    Dave.Sakamoto@InfoOnTheWeb.com
  • 05-28-2010 9:16 AM In reply to

Re: Does custom fields and data sync from Method to QB?

Answer

Hi Dave,

1. Custom fields created in Method will remain on the Method side only.

2. Your custom fields from QB are integrated with Method, but you will have to customize the Method screen and drag the desired fields on the screen so they can be used.

3. Yes, if you are using your custom fields from QB and have added them to the screen in Method they should act like any of the other fields that sync with QB.

Hope this helps,

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 05-28-2010 5:57 PM In reply to

• DaveS
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2009
    • Boulder, Colorado
    • Posts 87

Thanks Valbon, very helpful.

I ran into another problem after creating new custom field in Method and entered data.  The data disappeared from Mehtod after the sync.  I'll post it as a new question.

Dave Sakamoto CPA, MBA
    Founder and CEO Info On The Web
    Dave.Sakamoto@InfoOnTheWeb.com
  • 05-30-2010 8:13 AM In reply to

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Richmond, Virginia, USA
    • Posts 171

Dave,

QB doesn't support export of ALL custom fields through the SDK or ODBC connection, so you might not be able to use all of your custom fields in Method.  For example, the new custom fields added in QB V10 are not supported by QB and therefore unavailable to Method.

I believe there is some support for the original 5 custom fields in QB, but that might also be QB version dependent etc.

The most comprehensive characterization of the support from QB for the newest releases can be found at this blog entry by Charlie Russell.

http://qbblog.ccrsoftware.info/2009/10/custom-fields-in-quickbooks-enterprise-10/ 

I have also posted this question to this board.  It should be easy to find by scrolling down or searching for "custom fields enterprise".

Custom field support from QB has been crummy from as far back as 2004, the first time I characterized them for IIF import/export and report writing.  Be careful with them.

I believe this could be one of the key reasons why Method is necessary and a lifesaver for adding functionality to QB as additional field data can be held in Method with only the posting data needing to be synch'd.

Cheers,

James

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)