Method Community

Transitioning from QB desktop to Online, what to move?

Last post 04-15-2015 4:57 PM by Method_Audisho. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-15-2015 11:36 AM

Transitioning from QB desktop to Online, what to move?

I am trying to transition mathod from our qb desktop account to qb online. My account manager toldme I need to open a new account and export data from th eold acount currently tied to qb desktop to the new account tied to qb online. My question is, what will not move automatically when QB synchs with method?

I imagine that activities will need to go, but what about customers? Will I only need to export leads since qb will synch their information?

Perhaps I have missed a forum or help article that explains this:(

I have looked at this article

https://www.methodintegration.com/method/kb.aspx?folder=MethodCRM&article=Import-%2F-Export&id=189

but the wording is a little confusing for me and doesn't explain what should be transferred. Or maybe is it necessary to transfer all tables?

Any help is very much apprecited:)

• 04-15-2015 12:17 PM In reply to

Re: Transitioning from QB desktop to Online, what to move?

Hi scottakinosie,

If you are migrating your QuickBooks Desktop file to your QuickBooks Online (QBO) account, the short answer is anything in Method that doesn’t sync with QuickBooks will need to be migrated manually. Almost everything else will be synced from QBO.

Examples of records that will migrate automatically from QBO:

- Customers

- Estimates

- Invoices

- Payments

Examples of records that you will need to migrate manually to your new Method account:

- Leads

- Activities

- Opportunities

- Contacts

If you’re unsure about anything, just ask yourself, “can I locate this in QuickBooks?” If not, you will probably need to manually migrate it to Method.

It’s not absolutely necessary to transfer everything to your new account. This is a decision that you will need to make based on the information that you require.

For each table that you want to migrate records from, you will need to export it from the old Method account using the Import / Export tool and import it into the new account. You can see all tables by un-ticking the Show only common tables? option.

Your leads are located in the Customer table, but will have a value of Yes in the IsLeadStatusOnly field. Your Contacts table will also need to be migrated, as it does not sync with QB. We have a blog post and a video that details the process of importing contacts.

This should get you started. If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    Method:CRM
    a.sada@method.me
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Local & Overseas: 416.847.0400
    Fax: 416.640.6027
  • 04-15-2015 3:39 PM In reply to

Thank you Audisho! I appreciate your help:)

We are a small company and the problem is that I am the IT person who handles setting these things up so I know a little about how QB and Method work but not enough to know everything that would be needed and not automatically propogated to CRM. The salespeople that use CRM do not have access to quickbooks and the bookeeper who has access to quickbooks does not have access to CRM so identifying what synchs and what doesn't becomes a bit problematic because it involves several people:(

Is there by chance an exhaustive list of tables somewhere that method uses that doesn't sych to QB?

If not, no problem, I understand and really appreciate your examples and help with this matter.

• 04-15-2015 3:53 PM In reply to

Hi scottaskinosie,

Unfortunately, there is no list of tables that sync / tables that do not sync. Chances are that if it does not directly relate to accounting, then it does not sync. All QB cares about is accounting information. If you’re unsure about any tables, you can ask your bookkeeper if it exists in QB or you can post back here and I can tell you.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 04-15-2015 4:44 PM In reply to

Is support for migrating tables covered by the hour of support that is offered when opening a new Methd account?

• 04-15-2015 4:57 PM In reply to

Hi scottaskinosie,

The free hour is offered on a per customer basis not a per account basis. If you have already used your free hour previously, we cannot offer you another free hour for the new account.

If you have not used your free hour or you are willing pay the hourly rate to have our professional services team perform this for you, please contact your account manager to discuss this. Alternatively, I can have your account manager reach out to you. Just let me know.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)