Method Community

Linked field in new Activity

Last post 04-14-2015 5:31 PM by Maureen. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-14-2015 1:16 PM

Linked field in new Activity

I want a contacts "Alt Phone" to show up in the "contacts info" section of the new activity screen.  The Alt Phone field was not on the list of fields to add on the New Activity screen, so I went to the fields/tables and added a linked field.  Named it ContactsAltPhone and linked it using Contacts and Alt phone for the field.  I then added the field to the "contacts info" section on the New Activity page.  I then saved, published, refreshed screen and logged out. Logged back in so it could regenerate the screen.  When I start a New Activity and insert the contact name, The contact information, regular phone number, etc show up, but for the Alt phone, Only the label "Alt Phone" will show up, but not the alt phone number that is listed in the contacts detail.  However once I save the activity and then open again from the activities list "edit" button, the Alt. Phone number is there on the Activity sceen.  

Have I missed a step somewhere?

• 04-14-2015 1:51 PM In reply to

Re: Linked field in new Activity

Answer

Hi Maureen,

Linked fields are not populated until the record is saved. The record needs to be saved for the Activity table to grab the correct values for the linked fields from the Contacts table.

What you are seeing on the add and edit activity screens are actions that populate these fields when a change occurs. There are actions for a text change event on the contact dropdown for when you select a contact as well as the OnScreenLoad event of the screen for when a contact is already selected.

I recommend taking a look at the Retrieve Value From Table (Get Contact Phone) action from the Text Change event on the contact dropdown field. You should be able to mirror this action for populating the AltPhone field that you linked.

I hope this helps.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    Method:CRM
    a.sada@method.me
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Local & Overseas: 416.847.0400
    Fax: 416.640.6027
  • 04-14-2015 5:31 PM In reply to

Re: Linked field in new Activity

Ah, yes.. That works wonderfully!!